Harry Elam becomes vice president for arts, senior vice provost

Harry Elam, vice provost for undergraduate education, gained two new University leadership roles: vice president for the arts and senior vice provost for education, beginning Feb. 1.

Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education Harry Elam speaks at the Faculty Senate meeting (Courtesy of Linda A. Cicero).

“We are deeply grateful that Harry has agreed to take on these crucial leadership roles that are so important to Stanford, and to join the senior staff leadership team in advising us on matters of importance to our students,” President Tessier-Lavigne said to the Stanford News Report.

With the creation of the new position, the arts program is moved from the jurisdiction of the School of Humanities and Sciences to the office of the President and Provost. As vice president for the arts, Elam will focus on the future of arts at Stanford and help manage Stanford Live and Bing Concert Hall, the Institute for Diversity in the Arts and other programs.

“Harry’s deep scholarship and experience in the arts and his role reporting to the president will assure that our many arts initiatives receive focused attention and benefit from new vision well into the future,” said Richard Saller, dean of Humanities and Sciences, to the Stanford News Report.

Elam will tackle a variety of issues to help improve educational opportunities at Stanford as senior vice provost for education. His new responsibilities include working on Stanford’s international programs and other projects that support education. He will still be the vice provost for undergraduate education.

“As we enter into this exciting era at Stanford, I am honored and thrilled to serve in this new capacity,” Elam said, “Diving into both roles allows me to expand my commitment to students’ experience as we seek to reimagine education at Stanford.”

Contact Jackson Lallas at jlallas ‘at’ stanford.edu.