Brock Turner found guilty on three felony counts

On Wednesday, a jury found former Stanford swimmer Brock Turner guilty of sexually assaulting an unconscious and intoxicated young woman outside a fraternity house.

20-year-old Turner was arrested Jan. 18, 2015, after two graduate students found him on top of an unmoving woman outside Kappa Alpha fraternity at approximately 1 a.m. Turner subsequently withdrew from Stanford and was charged with five felony counts, later reduced to three: assault with intent to commit rape of an intoxicated or unconscious person, sexual penetration of an intoxicated person and sexual penetration of an unconscious person.

Turner has been convicted on all counts. He faces a maximum prison sentence of 10 years and will now have to register as a sex offender.

His sentencing is scheduled for June 2.

Turner’s trial began two weeks ago at the Palo Alto Courthouse and concluded this Monday. The jury, which included four women and eight men, deliberated for two days.

Throughout the trial, Turner’s defense maintained his complete innocence. Turner testified last Wednesday that the woman, a 23-year-old Palo Alto resident who did not attend Stanford, consented to all of his sexual activity with her on Jan. 18. He claimed that she was conscious and eager while he kissed her, “dry-humped” her on the ground next to a trash can and penetrated her with a finger.

But the woman herself said she has no memory of the event. When police arrived on the scene, they found her unresponsive and half-naked, with her underwear beside her; she did not regain consciousness until hours later, in the hospital. Her blood alcohol content (BAC) at the time has been estimated at three times the legal driving limit. Turner was also intoxicated at the time, with a BAC two times the legal limit.

The defense argued that the woman could have consented but retained no memory of events due an alcoholic “blackout.” Turner’s attorney also emphasized Turner’s seemingly upstanding record, bringing forth character witnesses to attest to his moral integrity.

But in her closing arguments this Monday, prosecutor Alaleh Kianerci urged jurors to look past appearances.

“Turner may not look like a rapist, but he is the … face of campus sexual assault,” she said.

Contact Hannah Knowles at hknowles ‘at’ stanford.edu

• Momo

If we factor in his level of drunkenness to say he isn’t responsible, then how can we not factor in her level of drunkenness which was even higher to determine that she could not have consented to sex acts with him? Also, the point where your partner becomes unconscious is where all consent is rescinded and you should probably ask, “Hey are you ok?” rather than shoving dirt and pine needles into her vagina while she is unresponsive. He also tried to run away, which he would not have done if it had been a consensual encounter.

• Momo

If his judgement was clouded, then hers was even more so and she would not have been able to consent to sexual contact. He was seen thrusting into her and she was not conscious. That is assault. If you consent to something and then pass out, my first course of action is to see if you’re okay, not to shove pine needles and dirt into your genitals. Say we go to a tattoo shop and you say, “I want to get a tattoo.” So you pick out your tattoo and the artist begins the work. Halfway thru, you pass out. That’s when I say, “Keep going, and also add a few extra tats that I’ll pick out myself. He said he wanted a tattoo!” Would it have been up to me to decide once you were unconscious if you should have more tats and what they should be of simply because you wanted one in the first place? Then when you wake up, I tell everyone you wanted that tat of a dong pointing to your ass crack on the small of your back. You said you did, and you just don’t remember.

• bigyaz

So you’re voicing outrage about rape by…making jokes about rape (in prison)? Not cool at all.

• entropy71

“Good” kids don’t sexually assault girls who are passed out beside dumpsters and run away when caught and take no blame whatsoever. You get that, right? Stop drinking the cognitive dissonance Kool-Aid. There are loads of guys that don’t assault passed out girls from all walks of life; humble or “nice” has nothing to do with it. Also, alcohol is just an excuse not to give a shit and do whatever you want. His father’s statement couldn’t be a better illustration of the “how” this happened if he pulled it out of the sky. It’s downright bizzare on ANY moral plain.

• Lizz Huie-Fulks

How does him having to register as a sex offender be a waste of tax payer dollars?

• Don Gross

2 men on bikes found him raping her behind a dumpster and detained him…..Brock befriended her during the party and put pills in her drinks until she was unresponsive so he could rape her. This shows that he has done this before and other women need to come forward to help sentence him for life in prison.

• BHamilton40love

The lady was 3 times over the legal BAC and was not a student so I think his fate was sealed by running, but this woman clearly set herself up to be in some predicament with her actions as well

• snotfinger

this little cock teaser is lying. she got drunk and was looking for sex. all was well until they got caught. then she played the victim to save her rep.

• socalbeachdude

It is AN unconscious, not “a unconscious.” Being unconscious is not “essentially dead” at all. The circumstances of Brock leaving the woman are disputed by Brock’s testimony in court and his subsequent statement. Brock claims that he had the woman’s CONSENT at all times for their activity. Both charges of actual rape were totally dropped by the prosecutors. This is a classic “he said / she said” situation except the woman ultimately claimed she had NO RECOLLECTION whatsoever of the incident and based on both the state she was found in and by her own admission she was DEAD DRUNK with a BAC level of over 3 times the legal limit. Brock claims to have met her at the Sigma Alpha party and invited her to go to his dorm to which he claims she agreed and then she slipped and fell while leaving the party and he fell along with her and then “the action” started. The problem is that there are CONFLICTING STORIES in this matter and the case is now being appealed in early June 2016 by Brock’s attorneys in an attempt to overturn the conviction entirely.

• socalbeachdude

Indeed, and she was 23 years old and had no business being at a Stanford campus fraternity party.

• socalbeachdude

What on earth is a “beta male?”

• socalbeachdude

Indeed.

• socalbeachdude

The legal age for drinking alcohol is 21 years old in California and Brock was indeed a MINOR relative to consumption of alcohol contrary to your assertions.

• socalbeachdude

Good question!

• socalbeachdude

Correct and there should be strict enforcement against all minors under the age of 21 consuming any alcohol on college campuses.

• socalbeachdude

You don’t know if she was conscious or unconscious at the time that “the action” occurred so why claim you do. He says she was fully conscious and CONSENTED. She says she has no recollection as to that time period and was DEAD DRUNK with a BAC of over 3 times the legal driving limit in CA.

• socalbeachdude

Absolutely correct.

• socalbeachdude

And he claims he was not running away but trying to find a place to throw it all up as he was feeling sick when he was seen by those 2 male graduate students.

• socalbeachdude

Actually, he was walking away from the scene according to Brock to find a place to throw up.

• socalbeachdude

If the woman said YES then that was consent. The question is whether she ever did or not for his “fingering” her as she now says she has NO RECOLLECTION whatsoever of that time frame.

• socalbeachdude

Yes, facts are indeed facts, and you are apparently ignoring all of the facts and apparent contradictions in this matter.