Fire reported at Maples Pavilion; 35 buildings lose power from deconstruction work

A fire was reported at Maples Pavilion on Campus Drive at approximately 2:15 p.m on Monday through Stanford’s AlertSU system. The incident was caused by emergency lights that ignited some roofing material on the southeast corner of the building. Palo Alto and Mountain View fire units quickly responded and extinguished the flames. It remains unclear how extensively Maples Pavilion, which serves as the home court for the men’s and women’s basketball and volleyball teams, was damaged.

The building was evacuated, and no injuries were reported. Roads between Campus Drive, Bonair Siding and Sam McDonald Mall were temporarily closed but reopened later in the afternoon.

At approximately 1:45 p.m., about 35 buildings, including Green Library East Wing, Cantor Art Museum and the Knight Management Center faced a power outage. Although the fire was initially suspected to have caused the outage, deconstruction work occurring at the former site of the Cardinal Cogeneration Plant was later identified as the source.

Power was restored to a majority of the buildings at 4:30 p.m. Other buildings that were affected include: Lou Henry Hoover Building, Herbert Hoover Memorial Buildin, Alumni Center, Littlefield Center, Frost Amphitheater, Bing Concert Hall, Maples Pavilion, Arrillaga Sports Center, Avery Aquatic Center, Taube Tennis Stadium, Varsity Tennis Courts, Burnham Pavilion, Taube Tennis South, Angell Field South, Angell Field North, Sunken Diamond Lights and Arrillaga Gym and Weight Room.

Updates can be found at emergency.stanford.edu, and students can call 650-725-5555 for an emergency hotline number.

Contact Jeremy Quach at jquach ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Jeremy Quach is a sophomore Desk Editor for the Student Groups beat and is from Kansas City, Kansas. He can often be found smiling, stuffing his face full of french fries, and mumbling Beatles lyrics to himself. He can be contacted at jquach ‘at’ stanford.edu.