Investigation of marching band results in one-year travel ban, alcohol probation

In a statement issued in The Stanford Report today, the University announced that the Leland Stanford Junior University Marching Band (LSJUMB) will be barred from performance at any away athletic events for one year and will have to adopt several reforms, based on the findings of a joint investigation by Stanford’s Organization Conduct Board and Title IX Office.

The investigation found that the band infringed University policies on alcohol, controlled substances, sexual harassment and hazing.

The LSJUMB will be unable to travel with any Stanford athletic team to perform at away events during the one-year travel ban, including postseason events.

The band will also be prohibited from hosting events with alcohol during the 2015-16 academic year and will be required to adjust internal events to comply with University policy. However, the band will still be able to play at home events and at certain non-athletic events. The University’s statement did not list examples of these non-athletic events.

“There are aspects of Band culture which are no longer in line with our values, and we accept that, despite tremendous growth, we have further to go,” LSJUMB said in a statement. “The results of this investigation are valuable, and they give us further opportunity to create a safe space on campus for students to express themselves freely. We are your Band, and we welcome your questions, as well as your thoughts. You will certainly be hearing ours.”

The inquiry was initiated upon the voicing of concerns regarding band events between 2012 and 2015, according to the University. LSJUMB said that the allegations centered around the 2011-12 school year, when current seniors were freshmen.

Some of the events in question took place on campus, and the investigation found that they at times included the use of illegal substances.

In the University statement, Deborah Golder, Associate Vice Provost and Dean of Residential Education, added that the investigation found that LSJUMB leadership has worked over the past few years to introduce reforms.

“In the recent past, we have too often conflated growing more inclusive with avoiding controversy,” the LSJUMB statement said. “Being in line with this community’s values demands that we return ourselves to the winds of freedom, which in recent years have subsided to an intermittent breeze. We won’t confuse ridding our culture of intolerance with sanitizing our culture of its adventurous character. We hope you’ll stand with us in finding this line.”

The decision may be appealed by the band. The final decision for an appeal is under the jurisdiction of Vice Provost for Student Affairs Greg Boardman.

See the full LSJUMB statement below.

As this is a developing story, this article will be updated. 

Contact Nitish Kulkarni at nitishk2 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

https://stanforddaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/LSJUMB-statement.pdf

Nitish Kulkarni '16 is a senior majoring in Mechanical Engineering. He writes about technology and breaking news, and runs online content sections. Email him at nitishk2 'at' stanford.edu.