David Shaw named to USA Football advisory committee

David Shaw, head coach of the Stanford football team, was appointed to the 18-member Football Advisory Committee created by USA Football on Monday.

Stanford head football coach David Shaw was named (DON FERIA/isiphotos.com)
Stanford head football coach David Shaw was one of just four college coaches appointed to USA Football’s advisory committee on Monday. (DON FERIA/isiphotos.com)

USA Football is an organization meant to educate youth and high school football coaches across the nation.

The Football Advisory Committee will serve to develop educational programs and safety resources such as the Heads Up Football program. The ultimate goal of the committee is to ensure better safety and education for young athletes.

Other committee responsibilities will include developing better drills for fundamentals and skill development, providing instructions to improve on-field instruction and advising USA Football on prospective football development models as well as guidelines to promote player safety and positive coaching philosophies.

“The vast, collective knowledge of this committee will be a tremendous resource to USA Football and the millions of children who love to play this game,” committee chair and pro football hall of famer Bill Polian said. “USA Football is raising standards in how coaches are prepared to teach and how player safety is addressed by coaches, players and parents.”

“These are accomplished and exceptional teachers,” USA Football Executive Director Scott Hallenbeck said. “They have joined our team to help us continue to lead and establish important standards in education. They know the social and fitness benefits that our children gain through football. They’re dads and grandfathers and they passionately care about the kids who love to play this sport.”

Shaw is one of four college football head coaches on the 18-person committee, along with David Cutcliffe (Duke University), Pat Fitzgerald (Northwestern University) and Bob Stoops (University of Oklahoma).

Contact Sandip Srinivas at sandips ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Sandip Srinivas '18 is the Football Editor, a sports desk editor and a beat writer for men's basketball and football at The Stanford Daily. Sandip is a sophomore from Belmont, California that roots for the San Francisco Giants during even years and roots for Steph Curry year-round. He is majoring in Symbolic Systems and can be contacted via email at sandips 'at' stanford.edu.