The 5 best reasons to go to Treasure Island Music Festival this weekend

Photo by Gabriel Green Courtesy of Treasure Island Music Festival, alt-J will be promoting their new album This Is All Yours Sunday at TIMF

1. Treasure Island

Most people pass by Treasure Island on their way between the East Bay and SF without ever noticing the little island that lies at the midpoint of the Bay Bridge. It is actually a man-made island built in the late 1930s and was originally meant to be used for an airport. This gem of a spot boasts amazing views of the San Francisco skyline and the Bay Bridge, framed by the beautiful palm trees planted throughout the island.

2. The Lineup

Treasure Island always has an awesome lineup for electronic and indie rock fans, and this year is no different. My personal list of must-see acts includes: Massive Attack, alt-J, Banks and Chet Faker. Check out the full lineup below.

Photo by Lisa Frieling Courtesy of Treasure Island Music Festival, Chet Faker will be lighting up the Tunnel Stage on Sunday

3. The Treasure Chest

No festival is complete without food, activities and installation art. In previous years, TIMF has featured crafting tents, large-scale sculptures, food trucks and performance artists throughout the festival grounds. This year their ‘Treasure Chest’ of fun includes the festival’s signature 60-foot Century Ferris Wheel.

4. Silent Frisco

If you’ve ever wanted to get your dance on at a silent disco, Treasure Island is your chance. If you’re unfamiliar with the term, DJs and electronic artists play their music, but instead of getting blasted out to the crowd from huge speakers, the music is transmitted to disco-goers’ wireless headphones. Silent Frisco will be hosting the silent dance party at the festival throughout both days.

5. No overlapping sets

Yes, you read that right. As usual, TIMF has scheduled the two main stages so that festivalgoers do not have to make the tough decisions usually associated with music festivals. With the exception of the silent disco, which will be running throughout both days, the two main stages have staggered set times so you don’t have to miss any acts.

Courtesy of Treasure Island Music Festival, Banks will be playing the Bridge stage at TIMF on Sunday

Full Lineup:

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Outkast
Zedd
Janelle Monáe
St. Lucia
Jungle

Classixx
Ryan Hemsworth
Ana Tijoux
XXYYXX
Ratking
Tobacco
Painted Palms

Sunday, October 19th, 2014

Massive Attack
Alt-J
TV On The Radio
The New Pornographers
Washed Out
Banks
White Denim
Poliça
Growlers
Chet Faker
Ásgeir
Bleached
Cathedrals

Contact Gabriela Groth at gngroth “at” stanford.edu.

Gabriela Groth is the Arts & Life Photo Editor and Music Desk Editor for The Stanford Daily, and she enjoys reviewing and photographing live music events. She has covered Treasure Island Music Festival, Austin City Limits, FYF Fest, and BFD. Born and raised in Los Angeles, Gabriela is a film lover, music enthusiast, and television aficionado. She is pursuing a Master’s in Computer Science. To contact her, please email gngroth “at” stanford.edu.