RT @StanfordWVB: .@StanfordWVB (18-0) off to its best start to a season since 1994 (20-0), led today by Morgan Boukather's career high 18 k…: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
@andi_mcc @MsIngaSpoke @BlockInTheBack Thanks a lot. Never got sent quotes from last night's presser for some reason.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford drops to 4-3, the first time the Cardinal have three regular-season losses since 2009.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford will fall out of the AP top-25 poll for the first time in 73 weeks.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Arizona State 26, Stanford 10, final.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Hogan's 4th and 10 jump ball to Montgomery falls short, and that's going to do it.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
3rd and 10 with the game on the line... and why is Montgomery not out there?: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
This drive again a reminder that Stanford is not a team that plays from behind. This two-minute drill is kind of atrocious.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Stanford rowers to compete in U-23 World Championships in Italy

Stanford rowing will be well-represented at the 2014 World Rowing Under-23 Championships in Varese, Italy this month, with seven rowers representing three countries.

(RICHARD C. ERSTED/isiphotos.com)

Rising senior Kaess Smit (above) has made the US National team for the second straight year, competing last year in the bronze medal winning four boat at the U-23 World Championships in Austria. (RICHARD C. ERSTED/isiphotos.com)

For the second straight year, rising senior Kaess Smit has been named to the USA U-23 team. After training in Oakland at the national training camp for the month of June, Smit was chosen as the bow seat of the men’s coxed eight boat. With the loss of his co-team captain and team leader, Austin Hack, to graduation, the senior will be the remaining veteran who will be expected to carry the varsity eight boat and drive the Stanford team. At the U-23 World Championships in Austria last summer, Smit earned bronze with the U.S. four boat.

Hack has spent the summer thus far training with the national team in the hopes of making the U.S. roster for the 2014 World Rowing Championships. Last summer, he was the only collegiate rower in the senior national team’s eight boat that took bronze at the World Rowing Championships in Chungju, South Korea.

Two Stanford women’s rowers were also named to the U.S. U-23 team. Daphne Martschenko ’14 made the team and will row the bow seat of the 4x after competing at the national team selection training camp in Berkeley this summer, while signee and rising freshman Devin Norder automatically made the USA roster by winning the lightweight women’s double skulls at the U.S. Under-23 World Championship trials. Sophomore Ruth Narode also competed as a signee for Stanford last summer, winning gold with the women’s eight.

Also representing Stanford rowing, but competing for other national teams, include sophomore Lilly Tinnaple for the Australian coxed eight boat, and junior Filippa Karrfelt in double skulls for Sweden.

Finally, junior Brittany Presten and Christine Cavallo of the women’s lightweight rowing team were named to the U.S. U-23 National Team after winning the final of the Ltwt B 4x at the U-23 Trials. They will be joining two rowers who attend Brown University in the 4x boat.

The U-23 World Championships will take place July 21-27.

Contact Ashley Westhem at awesthem ‘at’ stanford.edu. 

About Ashley Westhem

Ashley Westhem is the voice of Stanford women’s basketball for KZSU as well as The Daily’s beat writer for the team and aids in KZSU’s coverage of football. She has been a desk editor for three volumes and now serves as Managing Editor of Sports. She is an American Studies major from Lake Tahoe, Calif., and aspires to work in sports administration, to positively affect the lives of student-athletes and the relationship between the athletic and academic spheres of universities.
Advertisment ad adsense adlogger