Over the 5-game win streak in the Big Game, Stanford has outscored Cal 201-75.: 11 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
None of Stanford's seniors will leave this school ever having lost the Big Game. Fifth straight claim to the Axe for your Cardinal.: 11 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford is bowl-eligible with its sixth win of the season!: 11 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
And it's a final from California Memorial Stadium - Stanford 38, Cal 17 in the 117th Big Game.: 11 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
It's a senior victory formation for this Big Game - Eddie Plantaric, Ricky Seale, Jeff Trojan among the seniors out there.: 11 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford will just take knees to end the game instead of running up the score.: 11 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
There's turnover number 5 - an easy pick by Terrence Alexander. Almost a pick 6, but knocked out of bounds at the 4.: 11 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Gautam Krishnamurthi got in on that last drive for his final Big Game!: 11 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Lasco hits the perimeter and rolls in for the garbage-time touchdown. It's now a 38-17 ballgame.: 11 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Stanford rowers to compete in U-23 World Championships in Italy

Stanford rowing will be well-represented at the 2014 World Rowing Under-23 Championships in Varese, Italy this month, with seven rowers representing three countries.

(RICHARD C. ERSTED/isiphotos.com)

Rising senior Kaess Smit (above) has made the US National team for the second straight year, competing last year in the bronze medal winning four boat at the U-23 World Championships in Austria. (RICHARD C. ERSTED/isiphotos.com)

For the second straight year, rising senior Kaess Smit has been named to the USA U-23 team. After training in Oakland at the national training camp for the month of June, Smit was chosen as the bow seat of the men’s coxed eight boat. With the loss of his co-team captain and team leader, Austin Hack, to graduation, the senior will be the remaining veteran who will be expected to carry the varsity eight boat and drive the Stanford team. At the U-23 World Championships in Austria last summer, Smit earned bronze with the U.S. four boat.

Hack has spent the summer thus far training with the national team in the hopes of making the U.S. roster for the 2014 World Rowing Championships. Last summer, he was the only collegiate rower in the senior national team’s eight boat that took bronze at the World Rowing Championships in Chungju, South Korea.

Two Stanford women’s rowers were also named to the U.S. U-23 team. Daphne Martschenko ’14 made the team and will row the bow seat of the 4x after competing at the national team selection training camp in Berkeley this summer, while signee and rising freshman Devin Norder automatically made the USA roster by winning the lightweight women’s double skulls at the U.S. Under-23 World Championship trials. Sophomore Ruth Narode also competed as a signee for Stanford last summer, winning gold with the women’s eight.

Also representing Stanford rowing, but competing for other national teams, include sophomore Lilly Tinnaple for the Australian coxed eight boat, and junior Filippa Karrfelt in double skulls for Sweden.

Finally, junior Brittany Presten and Christine Cavallo of the women’s lightweight rowing team were named to the U.S. U-23 National Team after winning the final of the Ltwt B 4x at the U-23 Trials. They will be joining two rowers who attend Brown University in the 4x boat.

The U-23 World Championships will take place July 21-27.

Contact Ashley Westhem at awesthem ‘at’ stanford.edu. 

About Ashley Westhem

Ashley Westhem is the voice of Stanford women’s basketball for KZSU as well as The Daily’s beat writer for the team and aids in KZSU’s coverage of football. She has been a desk editor for three volumes and now serves as Managing Editor of Sports. She is an American Studies major from Lake Tahoe, Calif., and aspires to work in sports administration, to positively affect the lives of student-athletes and the relationship between the athletic and academic spheres of universities.