RT @VihanL: Stanford has 4 TDs this half. That's in spite of two first quarter interceptions. Not too shabby: 4 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Ruling on the field stands as called. Touchdown Stanford! Williamson makes it 28-7 Cardinal. The offense has awoken. About time too.: 4 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
I'd much, much rather see a pass to a TE on the flat (a la WSU game) than the push with Skov. Just not a fan.: 5 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Touchdown Pat Skov on the goal-line power push. Still not a huge fan of the play, but it works. Stanford now up 27-7 with PAT to come.: 6 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stat of the day: Stanford is 4-of-6 on third downs. That's more like the Stanford offense of old that we know and love.: 7 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Christian McCaffrey very, very disappointed in himself for not getting a touchdown. Breaking a sure tackle just isn't enough for him.: 8 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
So when Stanford is sniffing the red zone, then we take out the tight ends? Don't get it.: 8 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Taboada with a huge gain after Hogan finds a weak spot in the zone. Fumble, but Cajuste recovers. Stanford on the move.: 9 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal outgaining Beavers 232-69 already. How impressive has this defense been?: 10 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford's defense holds on fourth down, and the offense gets the ball back with 5 minutes in the half.: 11 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Stanford rowers to compete in U-23 World Championships in Italy

Stanford rowing will be well-represented at the 2014 World Rowing Under-23 Championships in Varese, Italy this month, with seven rowers representing three countries.

(RICHARD C. ERSTED/isiphotos.com)

Rising senior Kaess Smit (above) has made the US National team for the second straight year, competing last year in the bronze medal winning four boat at the U-23 World Championships in Austria. (RICHARD C. ERSTED/isiphotos.com)

For the second straight year, rising senior Kaess Smit has been named to the USA U-23 team. After training in Oakland at the national training camp for the month of June, Smit was chosen as the bow seat of the men’s coxed eight boat. With the loss of his co-team captain and team leader, Austin Hack, to graduation, the senior will be the remaining veteran who will be expected to carry the varsity eight boat and drive the Stanford team. At the U-23 World Championships in Austria last summer, Smit earned bronze with the U.S. four boat.

Hack has spent the summer thus far training with the national team in the hopes of making the U.S. roster for the 2014 World Rowing Championships. Last summer, he was the only collegiate rower in the senior national team’s eight boat that took bronze at the World Rowing Championships in Chungju, South Korea.

Two Stanford women’s rowers were also named to the U.S. U-23 team. Daphne Martschenko ’14 made the team and will row the bow seat of the 4x after competing at the national team selection training camp in Berkeley this summer, while signee and rising freshman Devin Norder automatically made the USA roster by winning the lightweight women’s double skulls at the U.S. Under-23 World Championship trials. Sophomore Ruth Narode also competed as a signee for Stanford last summer, winning gold with the women’s eight.

Also representing Stanford rowing, but competing for other national teams, include sophomore Lilly Tinnaple for the Australian coxed eight boat, and junior Filippa Karrfelt in double skulls for Sweden.

Finally, junior Brittany Presten and Christine Cavallo of the women’s lightweight rowing team were named to the U.S. U-23 National Team after winning the final of the Ltwt B 4x at the U-23 Trials. They will be joining two rowers who attend Brown University in the 4x boat.

The U-23 World Championships will take place July 21-27.

Contact Ashley Westhem at awesthem ‘at’ stanford.edu. 

About Ashley Westhem

Ashley Westhem is the voice of Stanford women’s basketball for KZSU as well as The Daily’s beat writer for the team and aids in KZSU’s coverage of football. She has been a desk editor for three volumes and now serves as Managing Editor of Sports. She is an American Studies major from Lake Tahoe, Calif., and aspires to work in sports administration, to positively affect the lives of student-athletes and the relationship between the athletic and academic spheres of universities.
Advertisment ad adsense adlogger