Senate approves Stanford alumnus as Secretary of Housing and Urban Development

July 13, 2014, 4:59 a.m.
Julián Castro ’96, left, was recently confirmed as the new Secretary of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), seen here at his nomination with President Barack Obama, Vice President Joe Biden, and current HUD Secretary Shaun Donovan in May. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)

On Wednesday the Senate approved Julián Castro ’96 as the new Secretary of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Castro, 39, was nominated by President Barack Obama in May and was confirmed by a 71-26 Senate vote.

During his time at Stanford, Castro became interested in politics and studied political science and communications. He was also elected to the student senate.

After Stanford, Castro attended Harvard Law School and was elected to the San Antonio City Council in 2001. He has served as mayor of San Antonio since 2009.

As mayor, Castro implemented housing and economic development projects to revitalize the city. He has also promoted access to higher education and supported marriage equality and affirmative action.

As the fifth Latino mayor in San Antonio history and the youngest mayor of a top-50 American city, Castro was also the first Hispanic to deliver the keynote address at the 2012 Democratic National Convention.

President Obama said in an official White House statement following Castro’s appointment approval that “[Castro] is a proven leader, a champion for safe, affordable housing and strong, sustainable neighborhoods.”

Castro will replace current HUD secretary Shaun Donovan, who was confirmed as director of the Office of Management and Budget on Wednesday.

According to Politico, Castro is considered a potential vice presidential candidate for the 2016 election. The Cabinet appointment will give him the chance to acclimate to Washington and increase his national presence.

Katherine Carr is a reporter for The Stanford Daily with a passion for science and public health. She comes to Stanford from Irvine, Calif., where she worked as a freelance writer for the Orange County Register. Carr is a prospective chemistry major and likes to write about science, politics and fashion. To contact her, please email kcarr2 'at' stanford.edu or follow her on Twitter @KatAnneCarr.