RT @catzdong: Relevant: @Stanford_Daily op-ed by @CoryBooker published in 1992 shortly after the controversial Rodney King verdict http://t…: 1 day ago, The Stanford Daily
Maya Krishnan '15 and Emily Witt '15 are 2015 Rhodes Scholars! That brings the @Stanford Rhodes count to 114.: 5 days ago, The Stanford Daily
RT @TSDArtsAndLife: John Barton talks to the @Stanford_Daily about Stanford's future "trans-disciplinary" Architectural Design program. htt…: 6 days ago, The Stanford Daily

University and Kappa Sigma respond to leaked Snapchat CEO emails

In emails to members of the Stanford community late last week, Provost John Etchemendy ‘82 and Kappa Sigma resident assistant Hunter Kodama ‘14 condemned the messages sent by Snapchat co-founder and CEO Evan Spiegel ‘12 while he was a member of the fraternity at Stanford.

“The sentiments expressed in these emails do not reflect what we, as members of the Stanford community, expect of one another,” Etchemendy wrote. “We can choose to turn a blind eye to such statements and chalk them up to youthful indiscretion.  Or we can be more courageous, and affirmatively reject such behavior whenever and wherever we see it, even —  no,  especially — if it comes from a friend, a classmate, or a colleague. Only if we choose the latter will we create the kind of university culture we all can be proud of, all of the time.”

Spiegel’s emails from 2009 and 2010, released last Wednesday by Gawker’s Valleywag blog, demeaned members of campus sororities and, in one instance, former Dean of Freshmen Julie Lythcott-Haims ‘89. The messages described getting women drunk and performing sexual acts.

Spiegel has since apologized for the messages in a statement from Snapchat, saying that he has “no excuse” for the emails.

“They in no way reflect who I am today or my views towards women,” the statement read.

Kappa Sigma lost its on-campus house for the 2011-12 academic year, stemming from a 2010 party suspension and an alcohol culture that Dean of Residential Education Deborah Golder called “dangerous” at the time. The fraternity was allowed to move back in for the 2012 fall quarter.

“The more concerning things in those emails…are representative of a culture that we as an organization have left behind us,” Kodoma wrote to campus sororities on Thursday. “That very culture was one of the biggest factors in the University’s decision to revoke our house three years ago, and the reversal of that culture is one of the reasons we were fortunate enough to have it reinstated a year later. But infinitely more important to everyone in our house than a ruling by the University, we hope that you’ve all personally observed a positive culture in our house and in your interactions with our members.”

Though Etchemendy wrote on Friday that the Stanford community is ashamed of Spiegel’s emails, he also said that students should see the incident as a learning experience.

“Members of our community should learn now, not many years from now, how abhorrent those attitudes are, whether real or feigned,” Etchemendy said.

Contact Joseph Beyda at jbeyda ‘at’ Stanford ‘dot’ edu.

About Joseph Beyda

Joseph Beyda is the executive editor of The Stanford Daily. Previously he has worked as the football editor, a sports desk editor, the paper's summer managing editor and a beat reporter for football, baseball and women's soccer. He co-authored The Daily's recent football book, "Rags to Roses," and covered the soccer team's national title run for the New York Times. Joseph is a senior from Cupertino, Calif. majoring in Electrical Engineering. To contact him, please email jbeyda "at" stanford.edu.
  • Keith Culling

According to Business Insider, Mr Spiegel claims that he is “mortified and embarrassed that [his] idiotic emails during [his] fraternity days were made public.” Under any circumstances, his comments would be disturbing. However, in the wake of the recent incident in Isla Vista,
    they provide another glimpse of a testosterone-fueled, male sub-culture that sees females as “things” to be manipulated and degraded. (Let me hasten to add, female acquiescence in this realm disturbs me equally.) Mr Spiegel goes on to say: “I have no excuse. I’m sorry I wrote them at the time and I was jerk to have written them. They in no way reflect who I am today or my views towards women.”

That will do for a start. However, he owes the Stanford community, his employees at Snapchat, and many others more than a brief apology followed by a return to his private life. I particularly question the sincerity and accuracy of his assertion that the emails no longer represent who he is nor his attitudes toward women. If we are to take that as something more than a glib throwaway line, he should explain to us what occurred in the intervening two years since his graduation that brought about the tectonic shift in his outlook.

The ball is still in your court, Mr Spiegel.

• oldstanford

You are all taking this too seriously. This is the way this thing looks at this point in time. Period. autre temps autre moeurs…

• Keith Culling

I am sorry to hear you express that sentiment. Belongs in the dust bin with “boys will be boys.”

• oldstanford

just trying to tell you that at different times people get upset about different things