79-77 is your final from Provo after a furious comeback falls barely short at the end. Card get No. 9 Texas in Austin next. Tough draw.: 7 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card looked sloppy and lost at times, but this team's resiliency is really something else. Just won't go away easily.: 7 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford and Randle got the looks that they wanted at the end, and the shots just didn't fall. That happens, not much you can do about that.: 7 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card get the ball back down 79-77 with 4.8 to go, and Randle misses the buzzer-beater. BYU wins by that final score.: 7 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Randle misses the long 3 on a clean look. Stanford will get the ball back with a chance.: 7 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Travel. Stanford down 2, gets the ball back and can kill the clock.: 7 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Randle with the clutch 3! We have a two-point game, 79-77 with just under a minute to go. ESPNU. Don't miss this ending.: 7 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Two forced turnovers later, it's back to a 77-72 game. Stanford doing whatever it can to stick around.: 7 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford playing sloppy ball, BYU playing clean, foul-free ball on the other end. It's 72-59 Cougars, who have opened it up with 5 to play.: 7 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Miscues and sloppy passing from Stanford cue another BYU run, and the lead is back to 9 at 68-59 with 6 minutes to go.: 7 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Women’s lightweight prepares for IRA Championships

Everything thus far has been in preparation for one weekend. And that weekend is finally here. The Stanford women’s lightweight crew left early Sunday morning for West Windsor, New Jersey, for the Intercollegiate Rowing Association (IRA) Championship Regatta, considered to be the collegiate national championship for rowing.

SPO.052814.ltwrow

Stanford’s women’s lightweight rowing team traveled to the East Coast early Sunday morning in preparation for this coming weekend’s IRA Championship Regatta, in which the Cardinal have a chance to win their fifth consecutive title. (ASHLEY WESTHEM/The Stanford Daily)

By Sunday, the lightweights will know whether the five consecutive first-place finishes that they have earned thus far, including top finishes at the PCRC Championships, Big Row and WIRA Championship Regatta, truly indicate their dominance on the water.

“That’s one of the best and worst things about being on this team — we’ve been the national champions for four years now and so there’s a lot of high expectations and all year we are working to meet and exceed those expectations as much as possible,” said sophomore Katherine Christel.

Stanford will be one of nine lightweight varsity eights competing for the IRA title and, most importantly, will be seeking its fifth consecutive national championship. Stanford will also be fielding its varsity four, which competed for the first time this year at the PCRC Championships and finished second in the open field.

The team had three hard workouts before heading east and has been tapering since then, getting mentally prepared for competition and easing up on rigorous workouts in order to be rested for the first two races on Saturday. The Card have had light training sessions at Princeton all week and will continue to adjust to the humidity — and the havoc it wreaks on their calloused hands — and the water conditions of the East Coast.

The Stanford varsity eight lightweights will be joined by a field including Boston University, Bucknell, Georgetown, MIT, Princeton, Harvard-Radcliffe, Tulsa and Wisconsin. Last year, Stanford beat Harvard-Radcliffe by open water, coming in four seconds ahead. Although Stanford remains the heavy favorite, Harvard-Radcliffe will again be one of Stanford’s top competitors this year.

The first two heats of competition for both the varsity eight and varsity four will be held on Saturday with the Grand Finals on Sunday.

Contact Ashley Westhem at awesthem ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Ashley Westhem

Ashley Westhem is the voice of Stanford women’s basketball for KZSU as well as The Daily’s beat writer for the team and aids in KZSU’s coverage of football. She has been a desk editor for three volumes and now serves as Managing Editor of Sports. She is an American Studies major from Lake Tahoe, Calif., and aspires to work in sports administration, to positively affect the lives of student-athletes and the relationship between the athletic and academic spheres of universities.