Stanford will play No. 1 Wake Forest (16-2-2) at Wake Forest next weekend.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
That's it folks. Stanford gets the 3-1 win off some beautiful goals from Morris (2) and Baird. On to the quarterfinals.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
GOAL STANFORD. Corey Baird puts the game out of reach. Stanford up two with just over 2 minutes to play.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
OSU shot goes wide. Less than 4 to play.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Andrew Epstein has had to be very active tonight. 6 saves so far, ties his season high from 10/18 vs. SDSU.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Things getting physical here at Cagan. Less than 10 to play, Buckeyes fighting to equalize things once more.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
JORDAN. MORRIS. AGAIN. Gorgeous goal to put Stanford back up, 2-1. His 10th of the season, 2nd of the night.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports

NFL Draft profile: David Yankey

David Yankey, Offensive Guard

Alter ego: “Papa Yank.” The Cardinal’s star left guard acts like the father of the Tunnel Workers Union — and he has the Twitter handle to boot. projection: 4th/5th round

Cardinal career: Yankey wasn’t the most highly touted recruit — most scouting services ranked him in the mid-40s for offensive tackles — but that didn’t stop him from playing in two games as a true freshman in 2010, making him the first Cardinal offensive lineman to do so in a decade. After battling back from a season-ending injury that year, he earned the starting job at left guard and by the end of 2011 he fit right in on an offensive line that was about to produce two early-round NFL Draft picks (David DeCastro and Jonathan Martin).

Over his final two seasons, Yankey would become the lead blocker for two consecutive 1,500-yard rushers, Stepfan Taylor and Tyler Gaffney. He won the Morris Trophy as the Pac-12’s top offensive lineman in 2012, earning consensus All-America honors that year, and he followed through in 2013 again to the tune of unanimous All-America recognition. He’s been the sledgehammer behind the Cardinal’s beloved power running game for two-plus seasons, and his absence will be felt going forward.

Pro stock: Even though he entered 2013 as perhaps Stanford’s most coveted pro prospect, Yankey has fallen on most draft boards since then. His physicality, size and experience aren’t in doubt; rather, most scouting services identify technical imperfections that will hold Yankey back. Yankey may not be the early-round pick he was once expected to be, but he’ll most likely hear his name called on Friday or early Saturday.

Highlight: Yankey’s job as a pulling guard is mostly a thankless one — that is, until it’s played back in slo-mo.

Contact Joseph Beyda at jbeyda ‘at’

About Joseph Beyda

Joseph Beyda is the editor in chief of The Stanford Daily. Previously he has worked as the executive editor, webmaster, football editor, a sports desk editor, the paper's summer managing editor and a beat reporter for football, baseball and women's soccer. He co-authored The Daily's recent football book, "Rags to Roses," and covered the soccer team's national title run for the New York Times. Joseph is a senior from Cupertino, Calif. majoring in Electrical Engineering. To contact him, please email jbeyda "at"