Parry knew he wasn't going to play all week and he acted as an extra coach and mentor to Phillips as the week progressed.: 8 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw says it's good to see explosive TD strikes again because "that's the kind of players we've got.": 8 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
As coaches, the staff was looking to make the game as simple and fun as possible for offense. "Streamlining" was a word that was used: 8 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw attributes the sacks to great coverage forcing Mannion to not get the ball off more than anything else.: 8 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
"Point blank: what we had been doing wasn't good enough." Shaw about the offense: 8 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw says that the world was never crashing down for the team inside the locker room. Never felt that way.: 8 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
"Washington State was close, but for the first time offensively, it felt like us." - Shaw: 8 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford 38, Oregon State 14. Final.: 8 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

NFL Draft profile: Devon Carrington

Devon Carrington, Defensive Back

Alter ego: “The man who chased down Marcus Mariota.” During the 2012 season, Carrington graced the television screens of thousands of people around the country when he made one of the biggest plays of Stanford’s shocking win over Oregon.

CBS Sports projection: n/a

Cardinal career: Carrington played in all 28 games his final two seasons as a reserve safety and cornerback after starting in five games at safety as a sophomore. Over his career, he totaled 93 tackles, including six-tackle games against UCLA and Washington State his senior year, and recovered three fumbles. However, Carrington’s time at Stanford will ultimately be remembered for one play — a play which will live on forever in Stanford lore.

With Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota racing untouched down the right sideline, Carrington flew out of nowhere all the way from his safety position on the other side of the field and chased down the speedy Mariota, tackling him short of the end zone after a 77-yard gain and saving a touchdown. Stanford’s defense would force a turnover on downs on that drive and Carrington’s tackle kept seven points of the board, allowing Stanford to force overtime and eventually win 17-14 in Autzen Stadium — the key victory in Stanford’s Rose Bowl-winning season.

Pro stock: Carrington was not invited to the NFL Combine but did join in at Stanford’s pro day, leading all participants with a 10-foot-4 broad jump. Carrington’s median time of 4.68 seconds in the 40-yard dash is on the slower side for a player in the secondary, but few other cornerbacks can claim the feat of chasing down the fastest quarterback in college football. At six feet tall and 194 pounds, Carrington does provide above-average size at cornerback and could provide depth at safety, boosting his chances of being signed as an undrafted free agent.

Highlight: Watch Carrington (#5, lined up at safety) disappear after the start of the play and reappear on the right side around the 0:17 mark.

Contact Michael Peterson at mrpeters ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Michael Peterson

Michael Peterson is the football editor at The Stanford Daily. He has served as a beat reporter for football, baseball and men’s soccer and also does play-by-play broadcasting of baseball and men’s soccer for KZSU. Michael is a sophomore from Rancho Santa Margarita, Calif. majoring in computer science. To contact him, please email him at mrpeters ‘at’ stanford.edu.
Advertisment ad adsense adlogger