PSA: student tickets are now available to be claimed for Saturday's matchup against USC: 3 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @DavidMLombardi: The news out of Stanford presser: LBs Hemschoot, Palma out. Noor Davis expanded depth role vs USC. Lil concerning given…: 11 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordRivals: Zach Hoffpauir will start at safety opposite Jordan Richards this Saturday for Stanford.: 11 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford falls to 13th in the AP poll.: 13 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
The Card is now the second-highest Pac-12 team in the Coaches Poll -- UCLA slipped to 11 after its close win against Virginia.: 15 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford No. 10 in this week's Coaches Poll.: 15 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @samfisher908: Huge props to @davidcohn4 whose call of the @TyMontgomery2 PR TD won him @NCAAFootball student-radio call of the week htt…: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Offense bounces back, pushes past defense in open practice

After practicing through the rain during the previous week, the Cardinal football team was finally blessed with clear, warm weather for Saturday’s open practice to kick off the week leading up to the Cardinal and White Spring Game. With the sun came a chance for the offense to redeem itself after being dominated by the defense on Thursday, and redeem itself it did behind the arm of freshman quarterback Ryan Burns and the steadfast downfield running of junior running back Kelsey Young.

“That’s what you want in the spring,” said head coach David Shaw. “You want one side doing really, really well, then you want the other side battling back. It shows the guys have some fight in them, and it was nice to see the offense come back today.”

Rising-senior running back Kelsey Young (39)

Rising senior running back Kelsey Young (39) will share the bulk of the carries with Ricky Seale and Barry Sanders moving forward through spring practices. (FRANK CHEN/The Stanford Daily)

Admittedly, with the rain having been a significant factor in the previous week’s practices, the 8-2 victory in the short-yardage drills for the defense on Thursday was likely to be expected with the slick ball and wet, slippery ground. On Saturday, however, with regular backup quarterback Evan Crower out with a deviated septum, Burns was given the opportunity to take the reins of the offense after having been suspended for the first session of spring practices.

With starting quarterback Kevin Hogan having some accuracy issues during the short-yardage drills, Burns was solid in his first action in front of an audience this spring, helping lead the offense to a 4-2 victory with some impressive passes into tight spaces to keep the chains moving after having had a disappointing practice to open the spring session. However, Shaw characterized Burns’ performance on Saturday to be merely “functional” and mentioned that there were still steps that the young pocket-passer needed to take in order to become a “serviceable quarterback” moving forward.

“The biggest overall goal [for Burns] is to be efficient,” Shaw said. “You can’t miss an audible, you can’t miss a run check, you can’t miss a read. Forget about knowing everything. We don’t need him to know everything. We just need him to be efficient.”

Burns and Hogan got some help on the receiving end from freshman wide receiver Francis Owusu, who was fantastic in picking up yards after the catch as he showcased his physical play and his speed.

In addition, Young showed himself to be adjusting to becoming a downhill runner very well after he spent last season predominantly taking end-arounds as part of the “Wildcat” formation. On Saturday, Young showed a great ability to pick up yards after contact while running up the middle and consistently surged forward for seven or eight yards at a time. With junior Remound Wright sitting out for the spring session due to a disciplinary issue, Young will look to receive more carries through the remainder of the spring and will be competing with Wright, along with Ricky Seale and Barry J. Sanders, for the lion’s share of the carries come the fall.

“You see [Young’s] speed and explosiveness — he’s hard to tackle,” Shaw said. “In Francis Owusu, you’re talking about a guy that runs like his brother [Chris ‘12] but is about three inches taller and is about 15 pounds heavier…he broke some tackles today and he can get up to speed. He’s hard to bring down, so those are young guys who we’re looking to get more involved in the offense.”

Freshmen tight ends Eric Cotton, Austin Hooper and Greg Taboada also continued to take larger roles moving forward and played with the first-team offense on Saturday, with junior Charlie Hopkins moving onto the second-team offense for the drills to end practice and catching a late touchdown pass from Burns.

The Cardinal and White Spring Game will take place this coming Saturday at Stanford Stadium at 1 p.m.

Contact Do-Hyoung Park at dpark027 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Do-Hyoung Park

Do-Hyoung Park is the Head Copy Editor at The Stanford Daily. However, his allegiance still lies with the sports section, of which he was at the helm before yielding to a peaceful transition of power to Ashley Westhem. Do-Hyoung is a junior originally from Seoul, South Korea and raised in Saint Paul, Minnesota pursuing a major in chemical engineering. To contact him, please email him at dpark027 'at' stanford.edu.