79-77 is your final from Provo after a furious comeback falls barely short at the end. Card get No. 9 Texas in Austin next. Tough draw.: 13 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card looked sloppy and lost at times, but this team's resiliency is really something else. Just won't go away easily.: 13 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford and Randle got the looks that they wanted at the end, and the shots just didn't fall. That happens, not much you can do about that.: 13 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card get the ball back down 79-77 with 4.8 to go, and Randle misses the buzzer-beater. BYU wins by that final score.: 13 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Randle misses the long 3 on a clean look. Stanford will get the ball back with a chance.: 13 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Travel. Stanford down 2, gets the ball back and can kill the clock.: 13 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Randle with the clutch 3! We have a two-point game, 79-77 with just under a minute to go. ESPNU. Don't miss this ending.: 13 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Two forced turnovers later, it's back to a 77-72 game. Stanford doing whatever it can to stick around.: 13 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford playing sloppy ball, BYU playing clean, foul-free ball on the other end. It's 72-59 Cougars, who have opened it up with 5 to play.: 14 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Men’s tennis sweeps No. 22 Boise State to extend win streak

Extending its season-high winning streak to six matches, the No. 52 Stanford’s men’s tennis team (9-2, 2-0 Pac-12) swept No. 22 Boise State (18-4, 20 Mountain West) 4-0 in a rain-shortened match at Taube Family Tennis Stadium on Tuesday.

SPO.040214.mt

Junior John Morrissey defeated Boise State’s senior No. 86 Andrew Bettles 6-1, 6-4 on court one in Tuesday’s 4-0 team win over the Broncos. Morrissey is 6-0 in singles matches over the Cardinal’s six-match winning streak. (AVI BAGLA/The Stanford Daily)

The Cardinal defeated its highest-ranked opponent of the season in the Broncos, who entered the match on an eight-match winning streak of their own.

After the two teams agreed to play singles first due to a threatening forecast, Stanford was able to jump out with to a quick one-point lead after sophomore Anthony Tsodikov defeated Boise State freshman Brendan McClain 6-2, 6-2 on court five. Tsodikov has gone 5-1 in singles during the team’s season-long winning streak.

Stanford extended its lead when juniors Robert Stineman and John Morrissey each won their singles matches in two sets on courts six and one, respectively.

Stineman has also gone 5-1 in singles over the Cardinal’s last six matches, while Morrissey has simply been dominant with an undefeated 6-0 record in that span.

The Cardinal clinched the victory minutes after the court one win, as sophomore Maciek Romanowicz won the No. 2 match, 6-4, 6-3. The other two singles matches were abandoned and the doubles matches were foregone after Stanford secured its win.

For a team that fell in the first round of the NCAA Tournament last season, the Cardinal will look to garner more confidence as they enter the heart of Pac-12 play. They will certainly be tested this weekend as they are slated to take on No. 2 USC and No. 3 UCLA in a two-match SoCal road trip.

Friday’s match at USC will take place at 1:30 p.m. and Saturday’s at UCLA has a 1 p.m. start.

Contact Jordan Wallach at jwallach ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Jordan Wallach

Jordan Wallach is a sports desk editor at The Stanford Daily. He has served as a beat writer for Stanford's baseball, football and women's volleyball teams. Jordan is a sophomore from New York City majoring in Mathematical and Computational Science. To contact him, please send him an email at jwallach 'at' stanford.edu.