@treeSIDjorge Yet the Cardinal has won the conference five times over that stretch...: 22 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @treeSIDjorge: Two-time defending champion Stanford second in Pac-12 preseason media poll ... poll began in 1961, Cardinal not once pick…: 25 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @CWCameronWalker: By far the hardest decision of my life, but I will spend the next chapter of my life at Stanford University under Coac…: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordRivals: Four-star forward Cameron Walker, the nation's No. 61 player, just tweeted that he has committed to #Stanford. Huge get…: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Modi named MPSF Gymnast of the Year as Card take second at MPSFs

Freshman standout Akash Modi received Gymnast of the Year honors from the Mount Pacific Sports Federation (MPSF) conference following the conclusion of the MPSF Championships last weekend, at which he earned two conference titles as the No. 3 Cardinal turned in a second-place performance, falling short of No. 1 Oklahoma.

Freshman Akash Modi (above) finished off an impressive regular season by winning the MPSF Gymnast of the Year award. (RICHARD C ERSTED/isiphotos.com)

Freshman Akash Modi (above) continued an impressive season by winning the MPSF Gymnast of the Year award. (RICHARD C ERSTED/isiphotos.com)

Modi’s MPSF titles in the all-around (89.650) and parallel bars (15.800) capped off a stellar season in which he was the only gymnast in the country to exceed the 90.000 mark in the all-around. He finished the regular season as the top-ranked gymnast in the all-around in the country. The freshman from New Jersey also led the Cardinal with 13 individual victories this season.

Fifth-year senior Paul Hichwa was the only other Cardinal gymnast to claim a conference title, as his career-high score of 15.450 on the high bar narrowly edged that of Oklahoma’s William Clement. Sophomore Dennis Zaremski finished second in rings with 16.150, while junior Michael Levy and senior Sean Senters contributed third-place finishes in the floor exercises and vaults, respectively.

Following the conclusion of the conference championships, Stanford head coach Thom Gleilmi earned his second MPSF Coach of the Year honor as he shared the recognition with Kip Simons, the head coach at Air Force.

The Cardinal will next travel to Ann Arbor, Mich. for the NCAA Championships, which will begin on April 10.

About Do-Hyoung Park

Do-Hyoung Park is the Head Copy Editor at The Stanford Daily. Even though he is finally able to get into R-rated movies now, he instead chooses to spend his time writing half the sports section every week. Do-Hyoung is a sophomore originally from Seoul, South Korea and raised in Saint Paul, Minnesota pursuing a major in chemical engineering. To contact him, please email him at dpark027 'at' stanford.edu.