Hogan is threading some tight needles today. Some very, very impressive throws like that one to Cajuste. Perfect 9-for-9 to start.: 7 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
McCaffrey reverse to Owusu for the big gain. There's your quota of David Shaw trickery for the day.: 8 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Per @ksvoboda, Jeff Trojan has STILL caught every ball thrown to him in his career. 18 targets, 18 catches.: 9 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Looking like a methodical Stanford drive and not one of the penalties all over ones. Chains keep moving.: 10 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
It's good. 10-7. Given starting field position and how that drive ended, though, that's a win for Stanford's defense.: 17 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford front seven starting to get some real push and pressure on Hundley and his offensive line. Fairbairn out for the kick.: 17 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Also, look at these time of possession numbers: Stanford 12:15, UCLA 2:45.: 27 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford has spent about as much time going forward as it has going backward. UCLA must be rubbing off.: 27 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
End of the first quarter: Stanford 7, UCLA 7.: 28 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Liking the McCaffrey read-option call too, even when it doesn't work. He's pass-protect training away from being a fantastic RB.: 28 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Modi named MPSF Gymnast of the Year as Card take second at MPSFs

Freshman standout Akash Modi received Gymnast of the Year honors from the Mount Pacific Sports Federation (MPSF) conference following the conclusion of the MPSF Championships last weekend, at which he earned two conference titles as the No. 3 Cardinal turned in a second-place performance, falling short of No. 1 Oklahoma.

Freshman Akash Modi (above) finished off an impressive regular season by winning the MPSF Gymnast of the Year award. (RICHARD C ERSTED/isiphotos.com)

Freshman Akash Modi (above) continued an impressive season by winning the MPSF Gymnast of the Year award. (RICHARD C ERSTED/isiphotos.com)

Modi’s MPSF titles in the all-around (89.650) and parallel bars (15.800) capped off a stellar season in which he was the only gymnast in the country to exceed the 90.000 mark in the all-around. He finished the regular season as the top-ranked gymnast in the all-around in the country. The freshman from New Jersey also led the Cardinal with 13 individual victories this season.

Fifth-year senior Paul Hichwa was the only other Cardinal gymnast to claim a conference title, as his career-high score of 15.450 on the high bar narrowly edged that of Oklahoma’s William Clement. Sophomore Dennis Zaremski finished second in rings with 16.150, while junior Michael Levy and senior Sean Senters contributed third-place finishes in the floor exercises and vaults, respectively.

Following the conclusion of the conference championships, Stanford head coach Thom Gleilmi earned his second MPSF Coach of the Year honor as he shared the recognition with Kip Simons, the head coach at Air Force.

The Cardinal will next travel to Ann Arbor, Mich. for the NCAA Championships, which will begin on April 10.

About Do-Hyoung Park

Do-Hyoung Park '16 is the head copy editor and a sports desk editor at The Daily. He has previously served as the Vol. 245 Managing Editor of Sports and primarily writes football, women's soccer and columns that he's pretty sure nobody reads except for him. Do-Hyoung is a junior originally from Seoul, South Korea and raised in Saint Paul, Minnesota pursuing a major in chemical engineering. To contact him, please email him at dpark027 'at' stanford.edu.