RT @StanfordFH: What a comeback by the Card! After going down 2-0, Stanford rallies for 3 unanswered goals to get the W! #GoStanford: 15 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
.@StanfordWVB sweeps Minnesota to cap off a 2-0 opening weekend. Big tests next week vs. current No. 1 PSU and No. 8 Ill. at State College: 16 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford block coming up big today: 5 in the 1st, 5 in the 2nd set so far. Card up 19-17 in the second set, up 1-0 in the match.: 17 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Langsdorf's header is saved and that'll do it. Santa Barbara defeats @StanfordMSoccer 1-0.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Bashti has a header go just wide. Only a minute left.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Modi named MPSF Gymnast of the Year as Card take second at MPSFs

Freshman standout Akash Modi received Gymnast of the Year honors from the Mount Pacific Sports Federation (MPSF) conference following the conclusion of the MPSF Championships last weekend, at which he earned two conference titles as the No. 3 Cardinal turned in a second-place performance, falling short of No. 1 Oklahoma.

Freshman Akash Modi (above) finished off an impressive regular season by winning the MPSF Gymnast of the Year award. (RICHARD C ERSTED/isiphotos.com)

Freshman Akash Modi (above) continued an impressive season by winning the MPSF Gymnast of the Year award. (RICHARD C ERSTED/isiphotos.com)

Modi’s MPSF titles in the all-around (89.650) and parallel bars (15.800) capped off a stellar season in which he was the only gymnast in the country to exceed the 90.000 mark in the all-around. He finished the regular season as the top-ranked gymnast in the all-around in the country. The freshman from New Jersey also led the Cardinal with 13 individual victories this season.

Fifth-year senior Paul Hichwa was the only other Cardinal gymnast to claim a conference title, as his career-high score of 15.450 on the high bar narrowly edged that of Oklahoma’s William Clement. Sophomore Dennis Zaremski finished second in rings with 16.150, while junior Michael Levy and senior Sean Senters contributed third-place finishes in the floor exercises and vaults, respectively.

Following the conclusion of the conference championships, Stanford head coach Thom Gleilmi earned his second MPSF Coach of the Year honor as he shared the recognition with Kip Simons, the head coach at Air Force.

The Cardinal will next travel to Ann Arbor, Mich. for the NCAA Championships, which will begin on April 10.

About Do-Hyoung Park

Do-Hyoung Park '16 is a Managing Editor of Staff Development, lead football writer and copy editor at The Stanford Daily. He also writes about Stanford football for Sports Illustrated's new college football site, Campus Rush. In his three years, he has written primarily football, baseball, soccer, tennis, swimming and water polo, and has covered a Rose Bowl, a Super Regional run and three national championships. Do-Hyoung is a senior that is obnoxiously proud of being from Saint Paul, Minnesota studying chemical engineering and computer science. To contact him, please email him at dpark027 'at' stanford.edu.