Lacrosse downs No. 6 Notre Dame to extend torrid start

(ZETONG LI/The Stanford Daily)

Sophomore midfielder Lucy Dikeou (32) scored four goals on five shots, including the eventual match-winner with 4:05 remaining, to seal the Cardinal’s upset of No. 6 Notre Dame. (ZETONG LI/The Stanford Daily)

The No. 13 Cardinal lacrosse team extended its winning streak to six games and boosted its record to 8-1 with a come-from-behind victory over No. 6 Notre Dame (8-4) on Saturday.

Sophomore midfielder Lucy Dikeou led the charge for Stanford with her four goals on five shots and ultimately provided the match-winning goal with 4:05 remaining in the second period to push the Cardinal ahead to the final score of 11-10.

“They’re fighters,” said Stanford coach Amy Bokker to GoStanford.com. “They go down swinging every time they step on the field.”

Although the Fighting Irish led by three at the half, the Cardinal out-shot Notre Dame 11-6 in the second period and limited their turnovers as they scored four consecutive goals in eight minutes to turn a 9-6 deficit into a 10-9 advantage. Freshman attacker Kelsey Murray scored two of those goals as she and her .684 continue to lead the starters in shot percentage.

With the victory over the Irish, Stanford earned a victory against its highest-ranked competition of the season and is enjoying its strongest start to a season since 2011, when the Cardinal ultimately lost in the first round of the NCAA Tournament after starting the season 8-1.

The Cardinal will next host Denver and Colorado on Friday and Sunday, respectively.

About Do-Hyoung Park

Do-Hyoung Park '16 is the head copy editor, a sports desk editor and a former Managing Editor of Sports at The Daily. Ever since he lost the election for Vol. 247 Editor in Chief, he has been a shell of his former self. Even so, the other editors on the staff still just input instructions into him and push a button, getting neatly packed football and tennis articles out in return. Do-Hyoung is a junior from Saint Paul, Minnesota studying chemical engineering and computer science. To contact him, please email him at dpark027 'at' stanford.edu.