Former GSB student’s degree revoked

Administrators at the Graduate School of Business (GSB) announced Tuesday they had rescinded their offer of degree to Mathew Martoma, the S.A.C. Capital Advisors, L.P. (SAC) employee, who was recently convicted of insider trading.

The move, which effectively revokes the MBA Martoma received in 2003, is reported by the Wall Street Journal to be the first time the GSB has revoked a degree.

Martoma, before applying to Stanford, was expelled from Harvard Law School in 1999 for altering his transcript.

University spokeswomen Barbara Buell cited privacy laws in declining to comment on Martoma’s situation. She noted, however, that the University has avenues for revoking offers of admissions or degrees if a student has falsified admissions materials.

The University sent Martoma a letter last month inquiring about statements made on his application, giving him an initial deadline of two weeks to respond. After giving extending his deadline by two weeks, Stanford revoked his admission after receiving no response from Martoma or his legal team.

Martoma was convicted on Feb. 6 on insider trading charges for his role in illegal trades that helped SAC avoid losses of $275 million.

About Andrew Vogeley

Andrew Vogeley is a desk editor at The Stanford Daily, covering the ASSU and student groups. He is a freshmen from the great state of Texas.