RT @StanfordSports: Our recap of Stanford's 45-0 win. Key takeways: McCaffrey has a bright future and the O-line still needs to gel http://…: 1 day ago, The Stanford Daily
RT @StanfordSports: And that's the ballgame. Stanford routs UC-Davis 45-0.: 1 day ago, The Stanford Daily

Carleton students killed before Ultimate tournament at Stanford

Three students from Carleton College in Minnesota died in a car accident on Friday afternoon while on their way to the airport for a Stanford Ultimate Frisbee tournament. The two other students in the SUV were injured.

The car spun out on the icy road only miles away from the school, crossed into oncoming traffic and collided with a semi-truck. The Minnesota State Patrol said that no drugs or alcohol are suspected to have played a role in the accident, and that all students were wearing seatbelts.

Carleton students James Adams, Michael Goodgame and Paxton Harvieux died in the crash. William Sparks and Connor Eckert were hospitalized, with Eckert listed in serious condition and Sparks listed in satisfactory condition as of Saturday. Students at Carleton College held a vigil for the deceased and injured on Saturday morning.

The Stanford Ultimate Frisbee tournament is one of the most prestigious in the nation, featuring 12 women’s teams and 16 men’s teams every year. Before the March 2 event this year, those in attendance observed a moment of silence and all teams came together to offer their thoughts and condolences. Spectators wore Carleton jerseys and wristbands to show their support for the team, which consistently places in the nation’s top three each year.

About Kylie Jue

Kylie Jue is a desk editor at The Stanford Daily and has previously worked as a staff writer and summer intern for the paper. She is a freshman from Cupertino, California and plans to study computer science and English during her time at Stanford.