RT @catzdong: Relevant: @Stanford_Daily op-ed by @CoryBooker published in 1992 shortly after the controversial Rodney King verdict http://t…: 10 hours ago, The Stanford Daily
Maya Krishnan '15 and Emily Witt '15 are 2015 Rhodes Scholars! That brings the @Stanford Rhodes count to 114.: 4 days ago, The Stanford Daily
RT @TSDArtsAndLife: John Barton talks to the @Stanford_Daily about Stanford's future "trans-disciplinary" Architectural Design program. htt…: 6 days ago, The Stanford Daily

Carleton students killed before Ultimate tournament at Stanford

Three students from Carleton College in Minnesota died in a car accident on Friday afternoon while on their way to the airport for a Stanford Ultimate Frisbee tournament. The two other students in the SUV were injured.

The car spun out on the icy road only miles away from the school, crossed into oncoming traffic and collided with a semi-truck. The Minnesota State Patrol said that no drugs or alcohol are suspected to have played a role in the accident, and that all students were wearing seatbelts.

Carleton students James Adams, Michael Goodgame and Paxton Harvieux died in the crash. William Sparks and Connor Eckert were hospitalized, with Eckert listed in serious condition and Sparks listed in satisfactory condition as of Saturday. Students at Carleton College held a vigil for the deceased and injured on Saturday morning.

The Stanford Ultimate Frisbee tournament is one of the most prestigious in the nation, featuring 12 women’s teams and 16 men’s teams every year. Before the March 2 event this year, those in attendance observed a moment of silence and all teams came together to offer their thoughts and condolences. Spectators wore Carleton jerseys and wristbands to show their support for the team, which consistently places in the nation’s top three each year.

About Kylie Jue

Kylie Jue ’17 is a news desk editor who first became involved with The Daily as a high school intern. A sophomore from Cupertino, California, she plans on studying both computer science and English during her time at Stanford and is also a CS 106 section leader. To contact Kylie, email her at kyliej ‘at’ stanford.edu.