RT @StanfordWVB: .@StanfordWVB (18-0) off to its best start to a season since 1994 (20-0), led today by Morgan Boukather's career high 18 k…: 11 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
@andi_mcc @MsIngaSpoke @BlockInTheBack Thanks a lot. Never got sent quotes from last night's presser for some reason.: 13 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford drops to 4-3, the first time the Cardinal have three regular-season losses since 2009.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford will fall out of the AP top-25 poll for the first time in 73 weeks.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Arizona State 26, Stanford 10, final.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Hogan's 4th and 10 jump ball to Montgomery falls short, and that's going to do it.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
3rd and 10 with the game on the line... and why is Montgomery not out there?: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
This drive again a reminder that Stanford is not a team that plays from behind. This two-minute drill is kind of atrocious.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Gonzalez knocks it in from 31. ASU takes a 26-10 lead.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Men’s swimming and diving prepares for Big Swim

The last time a Stanford men’s swimming and diving team went undefeated through a dual-meet season was in 2010-11, when the then-No. 2 Cardinal knocked off the then-No. 1 Cal in both teams’ final dual meet to finish a perfect 7-0 heading into the championship meets. That year, the Cardinal went on to clinch its 30th consecutive Pac-10 championship and finished third at the NCAA Championship meets.

Stanford will look to revisit history this weekend when it again faces Cal with a perfect dual-meet season on the line. Coming off of a solid win over No. 4 USC, the No. 8 Cardinal (7-0) will face off against the undefeated No. 3 Golden Bears (7-0) on Saturday morning as it aims to build momentum in preparation for a run at the Pac-12 title in early March.

Junior diver Kristian Ipsen (above) hopes to contribute in an important contest for the Card against Cal. (LARRY GE/The Stanford Daily)

Junior swimmer David Nolan (above) hopes to lead the undefeated Card to victory in an important contest against Cal this weekend on Senior Day. (LARRY GE/The Stanford Daily)

An experienced Cal squad that will come into the matchup having won its last 14 dual meets will undoubtedly be a tough draw for the Cardinal. Although Stanford has won seven of the last eight renditions of the Big Swim, the Cardinal’s reign of dominance atop the Pac-12 ended last season when Cal not only defeated Stanford in the Big Swim, but also at the Pac-12 Championships, making this meet especially meaningful for both teams involved.

The Golden Bears return 13 swimmers from last season’s national runner-up squad, including two reigning individual national champions in events. Stanford, meanwhile, will counter with experience of its own, spearheaded by junior David Nolan – a reigning national champion in two events himself.

Cal matches up well with the Cardinal all across the board. While Stanford’s strengths lie in Nolan’s strong events – the backstroke and individual medley (IM) – the Golden Bears will counter with one of the top IM swimmers in the country in sophomore Josh Prenot, who currently owns top-10 national times in both the 200-yard and 400-yard IM events.

Meanwhile, in the 100-yard backstroke, one of Nolan’s strongest events, Cal freshman Ryan Murphy is the owner of the second-fastest time in the country with his 45.77 swim at the AT&T Winter National Championships in December.

But Cal’s success in those events doesn’t detract from its ability to compete in other events in any way. Sophomore Tyler Messerschmidt has some of the fastest sprinting times in the country, while senior Jeremy Bagshaw is one of the best distance swimmers in the nation as the nation’s leader in the 1000-yard freestyle. And Nolan should have fierce competition in the 200-yard backstroke from sophomore Jacob Pebley, the owner of the nation’s top time in the event.

Although Nolan and junior diver Kristian Ipsen will be heavily relied on, as always, to pace the Cardinal to victory, Saturday morning’s meet will be a final chance for the Cardinal’s seniors to energize a packed home crowd at Avery Aquatic Center on what is sure to be an emotional Senior Day against their rivals from the East Bay.

Diving will kick off at 9 a.m. on Saturday morning against Cal, with the swimming portion of the meet starting at 11 a.m.

Contact Do-Hyoung Park at dpark027 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Do-Hyoung Park

Do-Hyoung Park '16 is the head copy editor and a sports desk editor at The Stanford Daily. He has previously served as managing editor of sports and still writes for the football, women's soccer and men's water polo beats. Do-Hyoung is a junior originally from Seoul, South Korea and raised in Saint Paul, Minnesota pursuing a major in chemical engineering. To contact him, please email him at dpark027 'at' stanford.edu.