Dwight Powell on SportsCenter now as the "other piece" of the Rondo trade: 18 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
ICYMI, Dwight Powell was traded from the Celtics to the Mavs as part of the Rajon Rondo deal yesterday.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWVB: Final: @PennStateVBALL 3, @StanfordWVB 1 Cardinal ends the season 33-2, tying for the most wins in program history. #gosta: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal within one after block from Bugg and Ajanaku. A hush over the crowd in OKC as it's 20-19 PSU in the fourth, up two sets to one.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
It's getting late quickly for the Card. PSU up 18-15 in the fourth set. Another Dunning timeout, this one the most important of the year.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
PSU with three straight points to even the fourth set at 13. Timeout Stanford.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal up 10-7 in the fourth set. Down two sets to one.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford has been down 2-1 three times this season, and it has a 2-1 record in those matches. (W @ Illinois, W @ Colorado, L @ Washington): 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card closed to within one point on three occasions towards the end of the 3rd, but couldn't pull it out. PSU wins it 25-22, takes 2-1 lead.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @jwallach12: Neither team has been able to get in a rhythm since the beginning of the first set. It's a dogfight out there. Exactly what…: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Men’s swimming and diving prepares for Big Swim

The last time a Stanford men’s swimming and diving team went undefeated through a dual-meet season was in 2010-11, when the then-No. 2 Cardinal knocked off the then-No. 1 Cal in both teams’ final dual meet to finish a perfect 7-0 heading into the championship meets. That year, the Cardinal went on to clinch its 30th consecutive Pac-10 championship and finished third at the NCAA Championship meets.

Stanford will look to revisit history this weekend when it again faces Cal with a perfect dual-meet season on the line. Coming off of a solid win over No. 4 USC, the No. 8 Cardinal (7-0) will face off against the undefeated No. 3 Golden Bears (7-0) on Saturday morning as it aims to build momentum in preparation for a run at the Pac-12 title in early March.

Junior diver Kristian Ipsen (above) hopes to contribute in an important contest for the Card against Cal. (LARRY GE/The Stanford Daily)

Junior swimmer David Nolan (above) hopes to lead the undefeated Card to victory in an important contest against Cal this weekend on Senior Day. (LARRY GE/The Stanford Daily)

An experienced Cal squad that will come into the matchup having won its last 14 dual meets will undoubtedly be a tough draw for the Cardinal. Although Stanford has won seven of the last eight renditions of the Big Swim, the Cardinal’s reign of dominance atop the Pac-12 ended last season when Cal not only defeated Stanford in the Big Swim, but also at the Pac-12 Championships, making this meet especially meaningful for both teams involved.

The Golden Bears return 13 swimmers from last season’s national runner-up squad, including two reigning individual national champions in events. Stanford, meanwhile, will counter with experience of its own, spearheaded by junior David Nolan – a reigning national champion in two events himself.

Cal matches up well with the Cardinal all across the board. While Stanford’s strengths lie in Nolan’s strong events – the backstroke and individual medley (IM) – the Golden Bears will counter with one of the top IM swimmers in the country in sophomore Josh Prenot, who currently owns top-10 national times in both the 200-yard and 400-yard IM events.

Meanwhile, in the 100-yard backstroke, one of Nolan’s strongest events, Cal freshman Ryan Murphy is the owner of the second-fastest time in the country with his 45.77 swim at the AT&T Winter National Championships in December.

But Cal’s success in those events doesn’t detract from its ability to compete in other events in any way. Sophomore Tyler Messerschmidt has some of the fastest sprinting times in the country, while senior Jeremy Bagshaw is one of the best distance swimmers in the nation as the nation’s leader in the 1000-yard freestyle. And Nolan should have fierce competition in the 200-yard backstroke from sophomore Jacob Pebley, the owner of the nation’s top time in the event.

Although Nolan and junior diver Kristian Ipsen will be heavily relied on, as always, to pace the Cardinal to victory, Saturday morning’s meet will be a final chance for the Cardinal’s seniors to energize a packed home crowd at Avery Aquatic Center on what is sure to be an emotional Senior Day against their rivals from the East Bay.

Diving will kick off at 9 a.m. on Saturday morning against Cal, with the swimming portion of the meet starting at 11 a.m.

Contact Do-Hyoung Park at dpark027 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Do-Hyoung Park

Do-Hyoung Park '16 is the head copy editor, a sports desk editor and a former Managing Editor of Sports at The Daily. He fills the "Crazy Old Uncle" role at The Daily, occasionally being allowed to throw up football stories and rant-y columns. Do-Hyoung is a junior from Saint Paul, Minnesota studying chemical engineering and computer science. To contact him, please email him at dpark027 'at' stanford.edu.