Parry knew he wasn't going to play all week and he acted as an extra coach and mentor to Phillips as the week progressed.: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw says it's good to see explosive TD strikes again because "that's the kind of players we've got.": 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
As coaches, the staff was looking to make the game as simple and fun as possible for offense. "Streamlining" was a word that was used: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw attributes the sacks to great coverage forcing Mannion to not get the ball off more than anything else.: 5 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
"Point blank: what we had been doing wasn't good enough." Shaw about the offense: 5 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw says that the world was never crashing down for the team inside the locker room. Never felt that way.: 5 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
"Washington State was close, but for the first time offensively, it felt like us." - Shaw: 5 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford 38, Oregon State 14. Final.: 5 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Eddie Plantaric in at fullback! Can't remember that happening in the recent past: 5 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Whitfield, Lloyd switch to safety for start of spring football season

Stanford football announced on Monday that sophomore quarterback Dallas Lloyd and sophomore wide receiver Kodi Whitfield will be switching to safety for the start of spring football and heading into next season.

This announcement comes after Stanford’s depth at defensive back was compromised at the end of the 2013 season by the departure of three seniors: Ed Reynolds to the NFL Draft and Barry Browning and Devon Carrington to graduation.

Although it had been known since late last season that Lloyd had been practicing at free safety, the announcement of Whitfield joining him in the defensive backfield came as a surprise to many.

Lloyd will make the switch after having started the season taking limited snaps at quarterback, predominantly in a change-of-pace, read-option-oriented role with running back Ricky Seale. Lloyd’s time spent under center decreased throughout the season as he experienced problems with turnovers and starting quarterback Kevin Hogan took over running the read option. With freshman Ryan Burns having redshirted this season and top quarterback recruit Keller Chryst joining the team next year, the Cardinal’s depth at quarterback would likely have pushed Lloyd into even more of a supporting role if he had stayed at quarterback.

Whitfield, as a converted wide receiver, will bring a pair of good hands to the safety position. His phenomenal one-handed catch against UCLA was one of the Cardinal’s premier highlights last season.

However, as the season went on, he was targeted far less — he only recorded 14 out of his 170 receiving yards in the final five games of the season.

The move of Whitfield to safety slightly alleviates the Cardinal’s influx of talented wide receivers looking to make big impacts as well. Stanford will return all three of its top wide receivers from 2013 next season — junior Ty Montgomery, junior Devon Cajuste and sophomore Michael Rector — as well as senior Jeff Trojan, freshman Francis Owusu and junior Jordan Pratt, all of whom recorded over 50 receiving yards last season and look to play significant roles moving forward.

Spring practices for the Cardinal will start next week, with the annual Cardinal and White Spring Game scheduled for April 12.

Contact Do-Hyoung Park at dpark027 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Do-Hyoung Park

Do-Hyoung Park '16 is the head copy editor and a sports desk editor at The Daily. He has previously served as the Vol. 245 Managing Editor of Sports and primarily writes football, women's soccer and columns that he's pretty sure nobody reads except for him. Do-Hyoung is a junior originally from Seoul, South Korea and raised in Saint Paul, Minnesota pursuing a major in chemical engineering. To contact him, please email him at dpark027 'at' stanford.edu.
  • Candid One

Awesome! Lloyd and Whitfield have height that isn’t common among the incoming DB recruits. Although Lloyd is the fastest among the QB group, any of them, he’s as fast as Ed Reynolds–and that’s a nice succession, plus he’s bigger than Ed. Whitfield is a promising talent too. Good news!

• downtownlongbeach90802

Hopefully, lightning strikes twice in the form of a quarterback and wide receiver switching to defensive back (John Lynch & Richard Sherman). I am not aware as to how much of the position Dallas Lloyd has played. I do know that Kodi Whitfield was recruited by USC as a safety before he selected Stanford.

• Candid One

Kodi’s speed lags the rest of his competition at receiver. Unfortunately, neither will replace Devon Carrington’s speed; he’s the guy who caught Marcus Mariota from behind in the 2012 Oregon game.

Advertisment ad adsense adlogger