79-77 is your final from Provo after a furious comeback falls barely short at the end. Card get No. 9 Texas in Austin next. Tough draw.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card looked sloppy and lost at times, but this team's resiliency is really something else. Just won't go away easily.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford and Randle got the looks that they wanted at the end, and the shots just didn't fall. That happens, not much you can do about that.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card get the ball back down 79-77 with 4.8 to go, and Randle misses the buzzer-beater. BYU wins by that final score.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Randle misses the long 3 on a clean look. Stanford will get the ball back with a chance.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Travel. Stanford down 2, gets the ball back and can kill the clock.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Randle with the clutch 3! We have a two-point game, 79-77 with just under a minute to go. ESPNU. Don't miss this ending.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Two forced turnovers later, it's back to a 77-72 game. Stanford doing whatever it can to stick around.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford playing sloppy ball, BYU playing clean, foul-free ball on the other end. It's 72-59 Cougars, who have opened it up with 5 to play.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Men’s swimming tops No. 4 Trojans in Los Angeles

No. 8 Stanford men’s swimming and diving (7-0) stayed undefeated in dual meets on the season with a 108-91 victory on Friday over UC-Santa Barbara and a resounding 170-128 upset over No. 4 USC on Saturday.

Stanford’s win over UC-Santa Barbara was its closest margin of victory all season, but the Card swam to victory thanks to a strong opening performance in Santa Barbara.

“Some of our swimmers handled the challenge of racing after a five-hour bus ride better than others,” said men’s swimming head coach Ted Knapp to GoStanford.com. “We need to expect to be better tomorrow.”

Sophomore Danny Thomson sped to victory in the 1000-yard freestyle against USC on Saturday. (HECTOR GARCIA-MOLINA/Stanfordphoto.com)

Sophomore Danny Thomson (above) sped to victory in the 1000-yard freestyle against USC on Saturday. (HECTOR GARCIA-MOLINA/Stanfordphoto.com)

The Card won the first six events of the afternoon, including three by junior David Nolan. Nolan narrowly won the 50-yard freestyle in 20.67, beating UCSB’s Ryan Hanni by just one-tenth of a second. He then cruised to a more comfortable victory in winning the 100-yard butterfly in 49.22. Nolan later contributed to a win in the 200-yard individual medley (IM) relay as the Card’s four-man team won in 1:31.26.

Freshman Jimmy Yoder impressed with a dominant performance in the 1000-yard freestyle, as his time of 9:20.52 was more than 13 seconds ahead of the second-place finisher. Sophomore Gray Umbach also significantly helped the Card with victories in the 200-yard IM and 100-yard backstroke with times of 1:50.79 and 50.51, respectively.

Santa Barbara made a late run to make the margin of victory the Card’s closest of the season by winning the 100-yard freestyle and 400-yard breaststroke, but the Card prevailed on top of its early domination.

On Saturday, Stanford pulled off the upset of higher-ranked USC in arguably its best performance of the season.

“We competed very well today against most of USC’s strengths,” Knapp said. “Our freshmen are really starting to contribute, and Daniel Le was a standout in that sense.”

Le won two individual events – the 100-yard breaststroke and 200-yard breaststroke – and also raced the breaststroke leg in the Card’s 400-yard IM victory. His times of 54.97 in the 100-yard breaststroke and 1:59.62 in the 200-yard breaststroke were strong enough to win each race by about a second.

Nolan again won the 100-yard backstroke in 48.84 but fell to second in the 200-yard backstroke as he was bested by Cary Wright of USC, who finished in 1:47.16.

On the first race of the day, the 1,650-yard freestyle, Stanford swimmers finished first, second and third as sophomore Danny Thomson, freshman Justin Buck and senior Bryan Offutt finished before both of the Trojans who were competing in the event. Thomson again showed his prowess in the long-distance races, finishing 22 seconds ahead of Buck, the second-place finisher, with a time of 15:01.41.

Stanford now enters a break with two weeks off before taking on California on Saturday, Feb. 22 at 11:00 a.m. at the Avery Aquatic Center.

Contact Michael Peterson at mrpeters ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Michael Peterson

Michael Peterson is the football editor at The Stanford Daily. He has served as a beat reporter for football, baseball and men’s soccer and also does play-by-play broadcasting of baseball and men’s soccer for KZSU. Michael is a sophomore from Rancho Santa Margarita, Calif. majoring in computer science. To contact him, please email him at mrpeters ‘at’ stanford.edu.