RT @StanfordWVB: .@StanfordWVB (18-0) off to its best start to a season since 1994 (20-0), led today by Morgan Boukather's career high 18 k…: 13 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
@andi_mcc @MsIngaSpoke @BlockInTheBack Thanks a lot. Never got sent quotes from last night's presser for some reason.: 15 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford drops to 4-3, the first time the Cardinal have three regular-season losses since 2009.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford will fall out of the AP top-25 poll for the first time in 73 weeks.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Arizona State 26, Stanford 10, final.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Hogan's 4th and 10 jump ball to Montgomery falls short, and that's going to do it.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
3rd and 10 with the game on the line... and why is Montgomery not out there?: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
This drive again a reminder that Stanford is not a team that plays from behind. This two-minute drill is kind of atrocious.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Gonzalez knocks it in from 31. ASU takes a 26-10 lead.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport

No. 2 Card opens season, begins quest for third title in four years

The No. 2 Stanford women’s water polo team will open up what it hopes will be a very successful campaign with the Stanford Invitational, which will bring together a star-studded field to the Avery Aquatic Center. The field consists of Stanford, No. 6 UC-Irvine, No. 7 Hawaii and No. 18 UC-Davis in Bracket A, while Bracket B is formed by No. 3 UCLA, No. 4 Cal, No. 12 San Jose State and No. 16 Michigan.

Senior Kaley Dodson (center) is one of several seniors who will look to reach a fourth straight NCAA title game. (Stanford Daily File Photo)

In the recent preseason MPSF poll, Stanford was ranked second by only a single point, with USC receiving four first-place votes to the Cardinal’s three. While USC beat the Card in last year’s NCAA tournament final in a quadruple-overtime thriller, Stanford returns many of its stronger members from last year’s team, including three Olympic gold medalists — sophomore driver Maggie Steffens, junior driver Kiley Neushul and senior two-meter Annika Dries. The Cardinal also welcomes a highly touted freshman class and will hope to return to the NCAA Women’s Water Polo Championship for a fifth straight year.

While the Cardinal will be favored to at least reach the final of this weekend’s invitational, none of the matches will be easy. Other U.S. National Team members present at the event include UCLA sophomores Rachel Fattal and Alys Williams, UCLA junior goalkeeper Sami Hill and UC Irvine junior defender Danielle Warde. Stanford’s opponents have put together strong team performances as well; UCLA and Hawaii finished third and fourth, respectively, in the 2013 NCAA Tournament.

Overall, the quality of the tournament should serve Stanford well going forward as it will act as an introduction to the high quality of play it will see in the MPSF. Although this weekend’s play will be an invitational, the Cardinal will look at it less as a tune-up and more as an early-season benchmark.

The Cardinal will hope to open the season in front of a large crowd at the Avery Aquatic Center and start the season the way it means to end it: with a win.

The Saturday session begins at 8:45 a.m., with Sunday’s matches starting at 8 a.m. The Cardinal is slated to face UC-Davis at 8:45 a.m. on Saturday, Hawaii at 3:30 p.m. on Saturday and UC-Irvine at 8 a.m. on Sunday, with the finals and consolation matches being held on Sunday afternoon.

Contact Dylan Fugel at dfugel ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Dylan Fugel

Dylan Fugel '16 is a junior from Frankfurt, Germany by way of London, England, majoring in English. Things that he insists upon: that football refers to association football, that Iman Shumpert is the most underrated player in the NBA and that yes, he can do something with that English degree.