Parry knew he wasn't going to play all week and he acted as an extra coach and mentor to Phillips as the week progressed.: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw says it's good to see explosive TD strikes again because "that's the kind of players we've got.": 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
As coaches, the staff was looking to make the game as simple and fun as possible for offense. "Streamlining" was a word that was used: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw attributes the sacks to great coverage forcing Mannion to not get the ball off more than anything else.: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
"Point blank: what we had been doing wasn't good enough." Shaw about the offense: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw says that the world was never crashing down for the team inside the locker room. Never felt that way.: 5 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
"Washington State was close, but for the first time offensively, it felt like us." - Shaw: 5 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford 38, Oregon State 14. Final.: 5 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Eddie Plantaric in at fullback! Can't remember that happening in the recent past: 5 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Tennis shines in doubles, struggles in singles at Sherwood Cup

The Stanford Cardinal men’s tennis team (1-0, 0-0 Pac-12) continued its strong start to the season over the weekend in the annual Sherwood Cup in Thousand Oaks, Calif. Two Cardinal players advanced to the round of 16 in singles play while the duo of sophomore Maciek Romanowicz and junior John Morrissey captured the doubles title in what was a superb result for the pair.

(DAVID ELKINSON/stanfordphoto.com)

Junior John Morrissey (above) has been dominant in doubles play with partner Maciek Romanowicz. The duo took the title at this weekend’s Sherwood Cup. (DAVID ELKINSON/stanfordphoto.com)

The doubles competition was where Stanford excelled throughout the weekend’s play, with the team of Romanowicz and Morrissey eventually taking the title with a hard fought 8-4 victory over the University of San Diego team of senior Clarke Spinosa and freshman Filip Vittek. The duo had had a series of stellar victories throughout the Cup, picking up victories over teams from USC, UCLA and—in what must have been a tough match in which to choose a side for coach John Whitlinger—they took the semifinals, 8-6, over their fellow Stanford team of senior Jamin Ball and sophomore Trey Strobel.

Other results for the Cardinal team involved included freshman Yale Goldberg and sophomore Anthony Tsodikov combining to go 1-1 for the weekend in doubles, while senior Daniel Ho and junior Robert Stineman lost 8-2 to the eventual finalists, Vittek and Spinosa. The major takeaway from Thousand Oaks for the Cardinal, however, must have been the exemplary play of Morrissey and Romanowicz, a duo that will be looked upon to help the Cardinal secure a doubles point in many matches to come.

In singles play, Morrissey and Romanowicz paced the team again, with Morrissey beating UCLA freshman Ryoto Tachi (6-4, 6-2) and Romanowicz topping No. 70 Max Grant of USC 6-4, ret. (due to injury.) Morrissey and Romanowicz would both lose three-set heartbreakers in the Round of 16. Morrissey fell to USC freshman Connor Farren 4-6, 7-5, 6-4, and Romanowicz lost to UCLA sophomore Karue Sell, 6-7 (4), 7-5, 6-2.

The other Stanford entrants lost in the first round, although some were hamstrung by very tough draws. Goldberg lost to national No. 1, UCLA senior Clay Thompson (6-3, 6-1). Ball fell to eventual singles winner and 11th-ranked UCLA junior Marcos Giron (7-5, 6-3), and Strobel fell to USD’s Spinosa (6-4, 6-2).

In other results, Stineman, although losing in the first round of the competition, picked up two wins in the additional matches, including a 7-6 (4), 6-1 victory over USC junior Jonny Wang, currently No. 67 in the ITA singles rankings. Goldberg also rebounded with a 6-3, 7-6 (5) victory over UCLA sophomore Ryoto Tachi.

Stanford will now travel to Seattle to play the Washington Huskies on Saturday in its Pac-12 opener. The two matches last year were both closely contested, with the Cardinal prevailing 4-3 and 4-2 to sweep the season series.

Contact Dylan Fugel at dfugel ‘at’ stanford.edu

About Dylan Fugel

Dylan Fugel '16 is a junior from Frankfurt, Germany by way of London, England, majoring in English. Things that he insists upon: that football refers to association football, that Iman Shumpert is the most underrated player in the NBA and that yes, he can do something with that English degree.
Advertisment ad adsense adlogger