Shaw on how he expects the team to respond: "I've got a locker room full of Stanford guys. They're leaders...I expect them to bounce back.": 3 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "We're going to attack like we're 0-12...but not overreact.": 3 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "They played extremely well...We got ourselves behind the eight ball." Identified third down and noise as big problems: 3 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Total domination from the Huskies tonight. Chris Petersen and his staff deserve a lot of credit for coming out firing and never letting up: 3 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Isaiah Brandt-Sims records his first career catch in his home state: 3 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Stanford came into this game having allowed 3 total TDs. Cardinal have given up 6 tonight: 3 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Huskies add another touchdown. First time Stanford has surrendered over 40 points since 2014 at Oregon. UW leads 44-6.: 3 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
KJ Carta-Samuels in at QB. Inherits a very different situation compares to last year: 3 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Stanford rolling in second unit on the defensive line here: 4 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports

Trouble on the road: Men’s volleyball falls to UCLA and UCSB

The No. 1-ranked Stanford men’s volleyball found itself facing two top-25 teams on the road this past weekend, and the Cardinal was unable to transform its success at home to success away from Maples Pavilion.

The Cardinal lost to No. 6 UCLA at Pauley Pavilion on Friday in five nail-bitingly close sets, 23-25, 25-22, 25-23, 29-31, 15-11. It was the first loss of the season for Stanford, who beat UCLA in its season opener earlier this month. Stanford also lost to UC-Santa Barbara on Saturday in five sets, 25-13, 21-25, 12-25, 25-23, 15-12.

Senior Brian Cook led the Cardinal in blocking, with four blocks on the night. Cardinal offense was led by Cook for the second consecutive match, who recorded 17 kills to go along with seven digs and three blocks. (ZETONG LI/The Stanford Daily)

Despite back-to-back team losses, Senior Brian Cook (5) led the Cardinal in blocking against UCLA and recorded 17 kills against UCSB. (ZETONG LI/The Stanford Daily)

The Cardinal (3-2, 0-2 MPSF) and UCLA (5-1, 2-0) were about as closely matched as possible, with the fourth set going back and forth until Stanford finally pulled through 31-29. John Kosty’s squad managed to overcome four match points, coming from behind and pushing UCLA into a fifth set. Stanford outhit UCLA .310 to .296 and performed slightly better on the defensive side, with a 54-51 advantage in digs. Once again, senior outside hitter Steven Irvin paced Stanford’s offense with 22 kills, a .356 attack percentage and 13 digs. Senior outside hitter Brian Cook led the Cardinal in blocking, with four blocks on the night.

But in the end, it was not enough to overcome the Bruins and their home-court advantage. Senior outside hitter Robart Page had an outstanding performance for UCLA both on offense and defense, with 26 kills and nine digs. Though Stanford had a strong performance, the team was unable to overcome the confident and hungry Bruins, who were looking for redemption after losing to the Card in its season opener.

On Saturday night, Stanford looked for redemption after Friday’s loss but found itself in a similar position — in a five-set battle with UCSB (3-0, 2-0) that it ultimately lost. The Cardinal lost the first set by more than 10 points, falling 13-25. Stanford, who seemed overwhelmed by the Gauchos’ fast and aggressive start to the match, was able to regroup and win the second and third sets. The Cardinal offense was led by Cook for the second consecutive match, who recorded 17 kills to go along with seven digs and three blocks.

The two teams switched roles in the fourth set, with UCSB prevailing 25-23. The Gauchos were able to come out fast in the fifth and final frame, keeping a steady lead throughout as Stanford was unable to force a tie and lost the final set 15-12.

This weekend Stanford will head back out on the road, playing No. 8 BYU on Friday at 6 p.m. The Cardinal will then travel back to California to face Cal Baptist on Saturday in Riverside, Calif.

Contact Eliza Thompson at elizat ‘at’ stanford.edu.