RT @StanfordWVB: .@StanfordWVB (18-0) off to its best start to a season since 1994 (20-0), led today by Morgan Boukather's career high 18 k…: 11 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
@andi_mcc @MsIngaSpoke @BlockInTheBack Thanks a lot. Never got sent quotes from last night's presser for some reason.: 13 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford drops to 4-3, the first time the Cardinal have three regular-season losses since 2009.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford will fall out of the AP top-25 poll for the first time in 73 weeks.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Arizona State 26, Stanford 10, final.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Hogan's 4th and 10 jump ball to Montgomery falls short, and that's going to do it.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
3rd and 10 with the game on the line... and why is Montgomery not out there?: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
This drive again a reminder that Stanford is not a team that plays from behind. This two-minute drill is kind of atrocious.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Gonzalez knocks it in from 31. ASU takes a 26-10 lead.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport

ROSE BOWL LIVE BLOG: Michigan State defeats Stanford 24-20

Happy New Year everyone, and welcome to The Daily’s live blog of the 100th Rose Bowl Game between No. 5 Stanford and No. 4 Michigan State. We’ll be updating this page with instant coverage and analysis. Please refresh this page for the most recent updates. All times are Pacific.

(Do-Hyoung Park/The Stanford Daily)

(Do-Hyoung Park/The Stanford Daily)

About George Chen

George Chen is a senior staff writer at The Stanford Daily who writes football, football and more football. Previously he worked at The Daily as the President and Editor in Chief, Executive Editor, Managing Editor of Sports, the football beat reporter and a sports desk editor. George also co-authored The Daily's recent book documenting the rise of Stanford football, "Rags to Roses." He is a senior from Painted Post, NY majoring in Biology. To contact him, please email at gchen15@stanford.edu.
  • Sergei

I went to the Rose Bowl last year, but had a bad feeling about this one. Then I saw the line of Stanford -6.5 and became hopeful, but honestly- the boys in Vegas were full of it. Michigan State is clearly a better team.

• Ari

Coach Shaw lost the Rose Bowl for Stanford with his atrocious play calling! OMG! Coach, ever heard of an option pass? A rollout? A slant? That one yard and a cloud of dust didn’t work too well against MSU, a tough defense, did it coach? You gave it to them. You made it easy for MSU; you made their coach happy! The final third and one play was a repeat of what hadn’t worked all day! Open up the offense a little already! Sheeesshhh! Absurd. What on earth was he thinking?
    The entire Stanford nation should be grilling Coach Shaw on his pathetic, overly conservative play calling.

• Ari

Correction: I meant the final Fourth down and one….what a miserable failure and brain-dead call!