It's just been announced that Dr. Rick Schavone will be retiring as Stanford head diving coach after 36 seasons at the helm of the program.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

ROSE BOWL LIVE BLOG: Michigan State defeats Stanford 24-20

Happy New Year everyone, and welcome to The Daily’s live blog of the 100th Rose Bowl Game between No. 5 Stanford and No. 4 Michigan State. We’ll be updating this page with instant coverage and analysis. Please refresh this page for the most recent updates. All times are Pacific.

(Do-Hyoung Park/The Stanford Daily)

(Do-Hyoung Park/The Stanford Daily)

About George Chen

George Chen is the President and Editor in Chief of The Stanford Daily. Previously he worked at The Daily as the Executive Editor, Managing Editor of Sports, the football beat reporter and a sports desk editor. George also co-authored The Daily's recent book documenting the rise of Stanford football, "Rags to Roses." He is a junior from Painted Post, NY majoring in Biology. To contact him, please email eic@stanforddaily.com.
  • Sergei

I went to the Rose Bowl last year, but had a bad feeling about this one. Then I saw the line of Stanford -6.5 and became hopeful, but honestly- the boys in Vegas were full of it. Michigan State is clearly a better team.

• Ari

Coach Shaw lost the Rose Bowl for Stanford with his atrocious play calling! OMG! Coach, ever heard of an option pass? A rollout? A slant? That one yard and a cloud of dust didn’t work too well against MSU, a tough defense, did it coach? You gave it to them. You made it easy for MSU; you made their coach happy! The final third and one play was a repeat of what hadn’t worked all day! Open up the offense a little already! Sheeesshhh! Absurd. What on earth was he thinking?
    The entire Stanford nation should be grilling Coach Shaw on his pathetic, overly conservative play calling.

• Ari

Correction: I meant the final Fourth down and one….what a miserable failure and brain-dead call!