Header from OSU's Abdi Mohamed equalizes things. Less than 28 mins to play.: 13 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
GOAL STANFORD: Verso feeds Morris, who nets the first goal of the game. His 9th of the season.: 23 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Two chances to score for the Cardinal -- the first one excruciatingly close (Hilliard-Arce hit post) -- as second half gets underway.: 27 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Cardinal getting some decent looks, but OSU backline hasn't backed down. Buckeyes had more chances offensively towards end of half, as well.: 47 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
We're scoreless at half. Stanford has advantage in shots (7-4) and corners (3-1), but unable to find back of the net.: 49 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Bashti and Morris have had some good looks to each other. Good play from two of the nation's most promising forwards.: 50 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
OSU with near breakaway, but Stanford's defense able to recover. Buckeyes have 4 shots- 2 on goal- but Stanford w/ most of possession still.: 1 hour ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Morris to Baird, Baird places it in front of the net but OSU kicks it away. Ensuing shot from Hilliard-Arce off corner goes high. Still 0-0.: 1 hour ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Morris breaks through and is fed the ball w/ the best chance for a goal Stanford has seen so far, but it finds the outside edge of the net.: 1 hour ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Two consecutive corner kicks, two consecutive shots gone wide from Ty Thompson. Thommo looking for his first goal of the year.: 1 hour ago, StanfordDaily Sports

Cardinal field hockey misses NCAA Tournament

After a heartbreaking 2-1 loss to Liberty on Saturday in the NorPac Championship Game, the No. 10 Stanford field hockey team waited anxiously to hear if it had been selected to the NCAA tournament, featuring teams from all across the country. Disappointing news came that evening, however, as the Cardinal was not selected to participate in the tournament.

Despite the bitter end, the team had a very successful season. Finishing with a strong 16-5 season record, the Cardinal brought home the NorPac West championship for the fifth straight year and appeared in its eighth consecutive NorPac title game.

Battling top-20 teams seven times this season, Stanford was an impressive 4-3, never slipping below No. 13 in the nation. It was a tough blow for the team to miss the tournament – 2013 marks the first time in eight years that the team will not be competing in the tournament.

Perhaps most notable this season was the stingy Stanford defense. Led by junior defender Kelsey Harbin and sophomore goalkeeper Dulcie Davies, the defense played a huge role in keeping the Card in the top five in goal differential rankings.

About Carlie Tenenbaum

I’m Carlie Tenenbaum and I’m a sophomore. I’m from San Diego, born and raised, but love life up here on the Farm. I’m a political science major by day, and a sports writer off the clock. I cover field hockey, women’s lacrosse, and bits of both men’s and women’s water polo. I played both field hockey and lacrosse in high school and love staying connected to the sports through writing.