RT @DavidMLombardi: The news out of Stanford presser: LBs Hemschoot, Palma out. Noor Davis expanded depth role vs USC. Lil concerning given…: 1 hour ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordRivals: Zach Hoffpauir will start at safety opposite Jordan Richards this Saturday for Stanford.: 1 hour ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford falls to 13th in the AP poll.: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
The Card is now the second-highest Pac-12 team in the Coaches Poll -- UCLA slipped to 11 after its close win against Virginia.: 5 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford No. 10 in this week's Coaches Poll.: 5 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @samfisher908: Huge props to @davidcohn4 whose call of the @TyMontgomery2 PR TD won him @NCAAFootball student-radio call of the week htt…: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Cardinal field hockey misses NCAA Tournament

After a heartbreaking 2-1 loss to Liberty on Saturday in the NorPac Championship Game, the No. 10 Stanford field hockey team waited anxiously to hear if it had been selected to the NCAA tournament, featuring teams from all across the country. Disappointing news came that evening, however, as the Cardinal was not selected to participate in the tournament.

Despite the bitter end, the team had a very successful season. Finishing with a strong 16-5 season record, the Cardinal brought home the NorPac West championship for the fifth straight year and appeared in its eighth consecutive NorPac title game.

Battling top-20 teams seven times this season, Stanford was an impressive 4-3, never slipping below No. 13 in the nation. It was a tough blow for the team to miss the tournament – 2013 marks the first time in eight years that the team will not be competing in the tournament.

Perhaps most notable this season was the stingy Stanford defense. Led by junior defender Kelsey Harbin and sophomore goalkeeper Dulcie Davies, the defense played a huge role in keeping the Card in the top five in goal differential rankings.