RT @StanfordFball: Stanford ranks No. 1 in the nation in scoring defense (4.3 ppg), total defense (204.3 ypg) and passing defense (66.0 ypg…: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford 35, Army 0. Final.: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Looks like Stanford will preserve the shutout.: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Hogan connects with Montgomery for a 32-yard TD pass with 6:09 left: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Montgomery was down on the ground for a bit longer than normal. Looks like he's okay though.: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Tarpley doing what he's best at: pass coverage: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Great block by Johnny Caspers on the TD run.: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Montgomery gets into the end zone out of the Wildcat. Stanford up 28-0 with 11:35 left in the game.: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford will take over at the Army 35.: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Cardinal field hockey misses NCAA Tournament

After a heartbreaking 2-1 loss to Liberty on Saturday in the NorPac Championship Game, the No. 10 Stanford field hockey team waited anxiously to hear if it had been selected to the NCAA tournament, featuring teams from all across the country. Disappointing news came that evening, however, as the Cardinal was not selected to participate in the tournament.

Despite the bitter end, the team had a very successful season. Finishing with a strong 16-5 season record, the Cardinal brought home the NorPac West championship for the fifth straight year and appeared in its eighth consecutive NorPac title game.

Battling top-20 teams seven times this season, Stanford was an impressive 4-3, never slipping below No. 13 in the nation. It was a tough blow for the team to miss the tournament – 2013 marks the first time in eight years that the team will not be competing in the tournament.

Perhaps most notable this season was the stingy Stanford defense. Led by junior defender Kelsey Harbin and sophomore goalkeeper Dulcie Davies, the defense played a huge role in keeping the Card in the top five in goal differential rankings.