In the last two meetings with UCLA, the Stanford defense has held Hundley to 192 and 177 yards. It's tough to stop him, but it can be done.: 6 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Senior day celebrations begin here for the Bruins in front of a largely empty Rose Bowl. Still a very rousing cheer for Brett Hundley.: 9 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford has a six-game win streak against UCLA at stake. If it wins a seventh today, that'd be the longest for either team ever.: 11 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @speedracer13193: "Tonight we will enjoy our feast, but tomorrow is when we really eat." -Coach Turley: 20 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWVB: Final: @UWVolleyball 3, @StanfordWVB 1 (25-18, 25-21, 23-25, 25-20). Card drops first match of the year, falling to 28-1, …: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @jwallach12: Of the 17 teams that went undefeated in the reg. season, only 5 went unbeaten in the tourney to become nat'l champs (most r…: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @jwallach12: This week, @StanfordWVB will look to become the 18th DI team to go undefeated in the regular season since @NCAAVolleyball b…: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @LombardiESPN: Big: Stanford WR Ty Montgomery will NOT play vs UCLA: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Stanford lacrosse shocks Notre Dame for first tournament win

The No. 20 Stanford women’s lacrosse team earned its first NCAA Tournament victory in impressive fashion by upsetting No. 9 Notre Dame 8-7 in the opening round today. The Cardinal (14-5) will now take on No. 2 Northwestern in the second round.

Sophomore midfielder Hannah Farr (above) and the Cardinal lacrosse team's season ended with a first-round loss to Notre Dame today (BOB DREBIN/stanfordphoto.com)

Sophomore midfielder Hannah Farr (above) scored the game-winning goal with four seconds remaining as the No. 20 Cardinal lacrosse team knocked off No. 9 Notre Dame in the opening round of the NCAA Tournament. (BOB DREBIN/StanfordPhoto.com)

The Fighting Irish had previously defeated the Cardinal 12-10 in the season opener on Feb. 16, but Stanford’s players took confidence from its 7-2 halftime lead in that game.

In the game that mattered more, the Cardinal put together a full 60-minute effort to take the victory. On attack, freshman Lucy Dikeou led the way with three goals, including the game-tying goal with 1:51 to play.

Sophomore midfielder Hannah Farr chipped in with two scores, including the game-winning goal on a free-position shot with four seconds remaining. Freshman attacker Julia Burns’ two goals and junior midfielder Anna Kim’s one rounded out the scoring for Stanford. Junior goalkeeper Lyndsey Munoz made six saves in goal.

Until the very end, the rematch looked a lot like the season opener. Stanford jumped out to a 4-2 halftime lead, holding the Irish scoreless for the final 11:53. After Stanford built the lead to 6-3 in the first 13 minutes of the second half, Notre Dame began its comeback charge.

The Irish scored three goals over a stretch of 4:07 to tie the contest with seven minutes remaining. Two minutes later, Notre Dame’s Kaitlyn Brosco scored to give the Irish its first lead since 1-0 early in the first few minutes of the game.

But unlike in the first matchup, the Cardinal had some more fight left. Stanford won all three draw controls remaining in the game to spark a late run. First Dikeou tied the game when junior defender Megan Lerner forced a key Notre Dame turnover. Then, after Lerner won the draw, Farr earned a free-position shot and converted to give the Cardinal its first-ever NCAA Tournament victory.

Stanford now has to prepare for another rematch on Sunday, this time against perennial power Northwestern, who beat the Cardinal 12-8 on April 4. The Wildcats have won seven of the past eight national championships, including the last three.

Before the tournament began, Munoz said that the Northwestern game was another regular season contest in which the Cardinal believed the team should have done better.

“It would be very exciting to beat them at their home field,” Munoz said. “Especially with them [winning the tournament] last year, it would be really great to knock them off.”

Sunday’s game will begin at 11:30 a.m. PST.

Contact Jana Persky at jpersky ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Jana Persky

Jana Persky is the president and editor in chief of Volume 246 of The Stanford Daily. She previously worked as a sports desk editor, news desk editor and managing editor of staff development at The Daily, and is majoring in Public Policy. Jana is a junior from New Canaan, Connecticut, who doesn't want to tell her mom and dad she likes the West Coast better. To contact her, please email eic@stanforddaily.com.