Shaw says front seven making up for lack of size with plenty of speed and quickness. Specific praise for Alfieri and Scarlett.: 9 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw: "Everybody in our conference can beat everybody in our conference. It's the Wild West every single week.": 9 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
On Hogan: "if he gets that ankle healthy, he once again becomes a dual threat in the pocket." Makes the bye week more important.: 9 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @dohyoungpark: Shaw: "We need this bye." Doesn't think a bye week will slow down the team's roll.: 9 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw individually praised McCaffrey, Sanders, Love and Wright. Clearly very pleased with his backfield.: 9 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw on Hogan: "He's playing the best football of his career.": 9 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Well that's just about it folks. Stanford improves to 4-1, 3-0 in Pac-12. Your final score from Stanford Stadium: Stanford 55 - Arizona 17.: 10 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Chryst has Risen. The sophomore QB to Stallworth, the first TD for both of them. Stanford breaks into the 50s, 4:03 to play.: 10 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Career-high for receptions in a game for Irwin, who has four tonight. Stanford driving, at Zona 18.: 10 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Stanford lacrosse shocks Notre Dame for first tournament win

The No. 20 Stanford women’s lacrosse team earned its first NCAA Tournament victory in impressive fashion by upsetting No. 9 Notre Dame 8-7 in the opening round today. The Cardinal (14-5) will now take on No. 2 Northwestern in the second round.

Sophomore midfielder Hannah Farr (above) and the Cardinal lacrosse team's season ended with a first-round loss to Notre Dame today (BOB DREBIN/

Sophomore midfielder Hannah Farr (above) scored the game-winning goal with four seconds remaining as the No. 20 Cardinal lacrosse team knocked off No. 9 Notre Dame in the opening round of the NCAA Tournament. (BOB DREBIN/

The Fighting Irish had previously defeated the Cardinal 12-10 in the season opener on Feb. 16, but Stanford’s players took confidence from its 7-2 halftime lead in that game.

In the game that mattered more, the Cardinal put together a full 60-minute effort to take the victory. On attack, freshman Lucy Dikeou led the way with three goals, including the game-tying goal with 1:51 to play.

Sophomore midfielder Hannah Farr chipped in with two scores, including the game-winning goal on a free-position shot with four seconds remaining. Freshman attacker Julia Burns’ two goals and junior midfielder Anna Kim’s one rounded out the scoring for Stanford. Junior goalkeeper Lyndsey Munoz made six saves in goal.

Until the very end, the rematch looked a lot like the season opener. Stanford jumped out to a 4-2 halftime lead, holding the Irish scoreless for the final 11:53. After Stanford built the lead to 6-3 in the first 13 minutes of the second half, Notre Dame began its comeback charge.

The Irish scored three goals over a stretch of 4:07 to tie the contest with seven minutes remaining. Two minutes later, Notre Dame’s Kaitlyn Brosco scored to give the Irish its first lead since 1-0 early in the first few minutes of the game.

But unlike in the first matchup, the Cardinal had some more fight left. Stanford won all three draw controls remaining in the game to spark a late run. First Dikeou tied the game when junior defender Megan Lerner forced a key Notre Dame turnover. Then, after Lerner won the draw, Farr earned a free-position shot and converted to give the Cardinal its first-ever NCAA Tournament victory.

Stanford now has to prepare for another rematch on Sunday, this time against perennial power Northwestern, who beat the Cardinal 12-8 on April 4. The Wildcats have won seven of the past eight national championships, including the last three.

Before the tournament began, Munoz said that the Northwestern game was another regular season contest in which the Cardinal believed the team should have done better.

“It would be very exciting to beat them at their home field,” Munoz said. “Especially with them [winning the tournament] last year, it would be really great to knock them off.”

Sunday’s game will begin at 11:30 a.m. PST.

Contact Jana Persky at jpersky ‘at’

About Jana Persky

Jana Persky is the president and editor in chief of Volume 246 of The Stanford Daily. She previously worked as a sports desk editor, news desk editor and managing editor of staff development at The Daily, and is majoring in Public Policy. Jana is a junior from New Canaan, Connecticut, who doesn't want to tell her mom and dad she likes the West Coast better. To contact her, please email