Men’s, women’s basketball players honored

Five players from Stanford women’s basketball team were named honorable mentions to the Pac-12 All-Academic Team, with one member of the men’s basketball team earning a spot on the second team. In order to be eligible, student-athletes must maintain a minimum 3.0 GPA, be at least a sophomore, and a contributor to the team.

This is the second recognition for redshirt junior Mikaela Ruef and juniors Toni Kokenis and Chiney Ogwumike. Sophomores Erica Payne and Bonnie Samuelson join the trio this year for their first selection.

Sophomores Erica Payne (left) and Bonnie Samuelson (right), and redshirt Junior Mikaela Ruef (center) received Pac-12 All Academic honors along with juniors Toni Kokenis and Chiney Ogwumike. MIKE KHEIR/The Stanford Daily)

Junior Dwight Powell also received recognition for the first time on the Pac-12 All-Academic Second Team. In addition, Powell was named a National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC) Second Team All-District selection, following up his other accolades this season of All Pac-12 First Team and Pac-12 Most Improved Player.

(RICHARD C. ERSTED/stanfordphoto.com)
Junior Dwight Powell was named to Pac-12 All-Academic Second Team for the first time in his career. (RICHARD C. ERSTED/stanfordphoto.com)

Ogwumike was also recently named one of 12 finalists for the Wade Trophy and head coach Tara VanDerveer was named one of eight finalists for National Coach of the Year. Both awards will be announced April 8 prior to the NCAA championship game.

Two Stanford players have previously won the Wade Trophy, Jennifer Azzi (1990), and Candice Wiggins (2008). Ogwumike has displayed the high level of play and leadership expected of the award recipient throughout the season, leading her team to a victory over then No. 1 Baylor and in the Pac-12 Tournament while individually winning Pac-12 Player of the Year and Defensive Player of the Year.

VanDerveer was named Pac-12 Coach of the Year this season and has steered her team to an impressive 33-2 record and the No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament.

Ashley Westhem was Editor in Chief of Vol. 248 after serving as Executive Editor and Managing Editor of Sports. She is the voice of Stanford women’s basketball for KZSU as well as The Daily’s beat writer for the team and aids in KZSU’s coverage of football. She graduated in 2016 and is currently a Communications masters student. Ashley is from Lake Tahoe, California.