Businessweek rates Stanford GSB third in nation for coverage of information technology

Stanford’s Graduate School of Business (GSB) has been ranked third in the nation for its coverage of information technology within the MBA curriculum, according to Bloomberg Businessweek. Carnegie Mellon’s Tepper School of Business and MIT’s Sloan School of Management were ranked in first and second place respectively.

Bloomberg Businessweek’s rankings were compiled by soliciting responses to an online survey from graduating MBA students, with respondents asked to assess their program’s coverage of a range of fields. The average IT score for the 82 schools surveyed was 4.02, out of a possible 6; Stanford recorded a score of 5.11.

Overall, the GSB moved up one spot in the rankings compared to 2010, shifting from fifth to fourth even as some aspects of the MBA experience — like the quality of teaching — were panned relative to peer institutions. The University of Chicago’s Booth School of Business, the Harvard Business School and the University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School led the rankings in a replication of 2010’s leaderboard.

About Marshall Watkins

Marshall Watkins is a senior staff writer at The Stanford Daily, having previously worked as the paper's executive editor and as the managing editor of news. Marshall is a junior from London majoring in Economics, and can be reached at mtwatkins "at" stanford "dot" edu.