It's just been announced that Dr. Rick Schavone will be retiring as Stanford head diving coach after 36 seasons at the helm of the program.: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Softball takes four out of six games at Kajikawa Classic

Opening its 2013 campaign, the No. 20 Stanford women’s softball team played six games over the course of five action-packed days at the Kajikawa Classic in Tempe, Ariz.

The Cardinal dominated Bradley and Indiana, pulled out nail-biters over Portland State and Cal Poly and fell to No. 2 Oklahoma and Kentucky.

Senior pitcher Teagan Gerhart did much of the heavy lifting, starting in four of the six games and finishing the tournament with an overall record of 2-1 and one no decision. The senior standout was especially impressive against Portland State, as she fanned nine batters and allowed only one run. However, Gerhart was harassed early and often by a dynamic Oklahoma offense that scored five runs in the first inning alone.

Making her collegiate debut, freshman pitcher Kelsey Stevens was also impressive on the mound. Stevens especially showed poise when she came in to relieve Gerhart against the Sooners, and gave up just one run on two hits while striking nine batters over the course of six innings.

Stanford’s offense came alive when it was most needed, manufacturing eight points against both Bradley and Indiana. Against Cal Poly, sophomore outfielder Cassandra Roulund scored the winning run in the ninth inning to ensure that the Cardinal would come away with no worse than a 0.500 record from the tournament.

Next up for Stanford is a home game against Santa Clara, which is slated to begin at 5 pm this Wednesday.

About George Chen

George Chen is the President and Editor in Chief of The Stanford Daily. Previously he worked at The Daily as the Executive Editor, Managing Editor of Sports, the football beat reporter and a sports desk editor. George also co-authored The Daily's recent book documenting the rise of Stanford football, "Rags to Roses." He is a junior from Painted Post, NY majoring in Biology. To contact him, please email eic@stanforddaily.com.