RT @speedracer13193: "Tonight we will enjoy our feast, but tomorrow is when we really eat." -Coach Turley: 14 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWVB: Final: @UWVolleyball 3, @StanfordWVB 1 (25-18, 25-21, 23-25, 25-20). Card drops first match of the year, falling to 28-1, …: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @jwallach12: Of the 17 teams that went undefeated in the reg. season, only 5 went unbeaten in the tourney to become nat'l champs (most r…: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @jwallach12: This week, @StanfordWVB will look to become the 18th DI team to go undefeated in the regular season since @NCAAVolleyball b…: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @LombardiESPN: Big: Stanford WR Ty Montgomery will NOT play vs UCLA: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @agonzalezAP: Stanford coach David Shaw said Ty Montgomery out for UCLA. Said after Cal game it was a right shoulder sprain.: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford falls to UC Irvine 1-0 in extra time: 4 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Softball takes four out of six games at Kajikawa Classic

Opening its 2013 campaign, the No. 20 Stanford women’s softball team played six games over the course of five action-packed days at the Kajikawa Classic in Tempe, Ariz.

The Cardinal dominated Bradley and Indiana, pulled out nail-biters over Portland State and Cal Poly and fell to No. 2 Oklahoma and Kentucky.

Senior pitcher Teagan Gerhart did much of the heavy lifting, starting in four of the six games and finishing the tournament with an overall record of 2-1 and one no decision. The senior standout was especially impressive against Portland State, as she fanned nine batters and allowed only one run. However, Gerhart was harassed early and often by a dynamic Oklahoma offense that scored five runs in the first inning alone.

Making her collegiate debut, freshman pitcher Kelsey Stevens was also impressive on the mound. Stevens especially showed poise when she came in to relieve Gerhart against the Sooners, and gave up just one run on two hits while striking nine batters over the course of six innings.

Stanford’s offense came alive when it was most needed, manufacturing eight points against both Bradley and Indiana. Against Cal Poly, sophomore outfielder Cassandra Roulund scored the winning run in the ninth inning to ensure that the Cardinal would come away with no worse than a 0.500 record from the tournament.

Next up for Stanford is a home game against Santa Clara, which is slated to begin at 5 pm this Wednesday.

About George Chen

George Chen is a senior staff writer at The Stanford Daily who writes football, football and more football. Previously he worked at The Daily as the President and Editor in Chief, Executive Editor, Managing Editor of Sports, the football beat reporter and a sports desk editor. George also co-authored The Daily's recent book documenting the rise of Stanford football, "Rags to Roses." He is a senior from Painted Post, NY majoring in Biology. To contact him, please email at gchen15@stanford.edu.