RT @stanfordbball: That's the ballgame. Oregon takes it 73-70 after the inbounds pass falls short, is turned over.: 9 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @stanfordbball: Another Cardinal senior coming up in the clutch. Nastic knocks down two free throws and we're even at 70. Under a minute…: 11 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @stanfordbball: Momentum has completely swung in the Cardinal's favor and Maples is rocking. Loudest it's been all year. 66-63 Stanford,…: 11 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @stanfordbball: Stanford up 16-13 with 11:25 left in the first half. @bigmikehump3 leads all players with 7 points. D has forced 3 TO's,…: 12 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWTennis: Doyle leads 1-0 in the third, Kostas leads 3-1 in the third- Stanford needs both matches to win. 3-2 Cal.: 12 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Keep an eye on @StanfordWTennis: down 3-1 to Cal, need to go 3-0 in remaining matches. Would be a huge comeback, but they're on their way: 13 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWTennis: Kostas up 1-0 in the third, Doyle, up a set, entering tiebreak in the second, Zhao leads 6-5 in the third. Cal leads o…: 13 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Softball takes four out of six games at Kajikawa Classic

Opening its 2013 campaign, the No. 20 Stanford women’s softball team played six games over the course of five action-packed days at the Kajikawa Classic in Tempe, Ariz.

The Cardinal dominated Bradley and Indiana, pulled out nail-biters over Portland State and Cal Poly and fell to No. 2 Oklahoma and Kentucky.

Senior pitcher Teagan Gerhart did much of the heavy lifting, starting in four of the six games and finishing the tournament with an overall record of 2-1 and one no decision. The senior standout was especially impressive against Portland State, as she fanned nine batters and allowed only one run. However, Gerhart was harassed early and often by a dynamic Oklahoma offense that scored five runs in the first inning alone.

Making her collegiate debut, freshman pitcher Kelsey Stevens was also impressive on the mound. Stevens especially showed poise when she came in to relieve Gerhart against the Sooners, and gave up just one run on two hits while striking nine batters over the course of six innings.

Stanford’s offense came alive when it was most needed, manufacturing eight points against both Bradley and Indiana. Against Cal Poly, sophomore outfielder Cassandra Roulund scored the winning run in the ninth inning to ensure that the Cardinal would come away with no worse than a 0.500 record from the tournament.

Next up for Stanford is a home game against Santa Clara, which is slated to begin at 5 pm this Wednesday.

About George Chen

George Chen is a senior staff writer at The Stanford Daily who writes football, football and more football. Previously he worked at The Daily as the President and Editor in Chief, Executive Editor, Managing Editor of Sports, the football beat reporter and a sports desk editor. George also co-authored The Daily's recent book documenting the rise of Stanford football, "Rags to Roses." He is a senior from Painted Post, NY majoring in Biology. To contact him, please email at gchen15@stanford.edu.