This Stanford Life

Opinion by Renee Donovan

What is the one question you wish people asked you more often? Tell me the answer to that question. What were you like as a little kid? What parts of your personality today resemble that little kid? You are telling off the person you like least in the world. What do you say to them? What was your Freshman year like? If it was easy, what made it easy? If it was hard, how did you deal?

If you have an answer to any of these questions, I want to hear it. No matter how average you feel on this campus, you have a story to tell that your peers want to read. For this volume of The Daily I am starting a new project where I hope to write a profile of one Stanford student every other week in place of my opinions column (let’s be honest: you have probably heard enough of my opinions for a year anyway). I am less interested in that time you played at Carnegie hall than I am in why you feel bored on Tuesday mornings, or what it is about listening to Bach that brings you to tears. I want to write about you, not your resume. You will give the whole Stanford community such a gift if you choose to share your story, and I urge you to do so. If you have a story to tell, or if you know someone who has a story to tell, shoot me an email and I’m all ears (and pen and paper). Anyone?

Tell me your story at [email protected]

Renee was born and raised in San Francisco and has a serious love affair with the city. Last year she took a leave of absence to pursue a career in ballet and modern dance at Tisch School of the Arts in New York. She is glad to be back at Stanford, and especially glad to be back in California. She is an avid backpacker, Faulkner enthusiast, fair-to-middling guitarist, and wholehearted aviation nerd. She hopes to bring an amusing and provocative voice to the Daily in her opinion column, and urges the Stanford community to offer her their suggestions, questions, and criticism to keep the dialogue going on campus.