RT @StanfordFH: What a comeback by the Card! After going down 2-0, Stanford rallies for 3 unanswered goals to get the W! #GoStanford: 12 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
.@StanfordWVB sweeps Minnesota to cap off a 2-0 opening weekend. Big tests next week vs. current No. 1 PSU and No. 8 Ill. at State College: 13 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford block coming up big today: 5 in the 1st, 5 in the 2nd set so far. Card up 19-17 in the second set, up 1-0 in the match.: 14 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Langsdorf's header is saved and that'll do it. Santa Barbara defeats @StanfordMSoccer 1-0.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Bashti has a header go just wide. Only a minute left.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

M. Water Polo: Bowen, Bonanni named to the men’s water polo U.S. Senior National Team roster

Just a few months removed from a season-ending loss in the MPSF Tournament, men’s water polo standouts Alex Bowen and Bret Bonanni earned spots on the U.S. Senior National Team roster.

The announcement came a week before the UANA World Aquatic Championship Qualification Tournament, where Bowen and Bonanni will join Jeffrey Schwimer ’11 to compete for Team USA against Canada, Brazil and Argentina. The two top teams will advance to July’s FINA World Aquatic Championships in Barcelona, Spain.

The tournament will mark the Senior National Team debut for both the sophomore Bowen and freshman Bonanni, as well as Schwimer. Each had spent time with the various youth national teams in the past. Bowen and Bonanni also account for two of the three current collegians on the U.S. roster, being joined by USC’s Nikola Vavic.

Bowen and Bonanni, Stanford’s top two goal scorers in 2012, combined to net 137 goals over the campaign. Bonanni led the team with 73, the highest output in the program since 2004. The Huntington Beach native’s strong debut season led to his being named MPSF Newcomer of the Year as well as to the All-MPSF First Team.

After being named 2011 MPSF Newcomer of the Year last year, Bowen responded with 64 goals in his sophomore season, also earning a place on the All-MPSF First Team. The San Diego native scored a team-high 11 goals at the MPSF Championship in Los Angeles, while sharing the team lead of 12 hat tricks with Bonanni.

Schwimer was a two-time All-American for the Cardinal (2009-10) during his four-year career on The Farm (2007-10). The crowd-favorite utility from Beverly Hills scored 84 goals during his collegiate career, maxing out with 33 in his senior campaign of 2010 in which he was named to the ACWPC All-America Second Team and All-MPSF First Team. In 2008 Schwimer scored 18 goals, including the game-winner in Stanford’s 6-5 National Collegiate Championship semifinal win over Loyola Marymount, as the Cardinal reached the National Championship Game.

About Miles Bennett-Smith

Miles Bennett-Smith is Chief Operating Officer at The Daily. An avid sports fan from Penryn, Calif., Miles graduated in 2013 with a Bachelor's degree in American Studies. He has previously served as the Editor in Chief and President at The Daily. He has also worked as a reporter for The Sacramento Bee. Email him at eic@stanforddaily.com