Parry knew he wasn't going to play all week and he acted as an extra coach and mentor to Phillips as the week progressed.: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw says it's good to see explosive TD strikes again because "that's the kind of players we've got.": 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
As coaches, the staff was looking to make the game as simple and fun as possible for offense. "Streamlining" was a word that was used: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw attributes the sacks to great coverage forcing Mannion to not get the ball off more than anything else.: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
"Point blank: what we had been doing wasn't good enough." Shaw about the offense: 5 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw says that the world was never crashing down for the team inside the locker room. Never felt that way.: 5 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
"Washington State was close, but for the first time offensively, it felt like us." - Shaw: 5 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford 38, Oregon State 14. Final.: 5 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Eddie Plantaric in at fullback! Can't remember that happening in the recent past: 5 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

M. Water Polo: Bowen, Bonanni named to the men’s water polo U.S. Senior National Team roster

Just a few months removed from a season-ending loss in the MPSF Tournament, men’s water polo standouts Alex Bowen and Bret Bonanni earned spots on the U.S. Senior National Team roster.

The announcement came a week before the UANA World Aquatic Championship Qualification Tournament, where Bowen and Bonanni will join Jeffrey Schwimer ’11 to compete for Team USA against Canada, Brazil and Argentina. The two top teams will advance to July’s FINA World Aquatic Championships in Barcelona, Spain.

The tournament will mark the Senior National Team debut for both the sophomore Bowen and freshman Bonanni, as well as Schwimer. Each had spent time with the various youth national teams in the past. Bowen and Bonanni also account for two of the three current collegians on the U.S. roster, being joined by USC’s Nikola Vavic.

Bowen and Bonanni, Stanford’s top two goal scorers in 2012, combined to net 137 goals over the campaign. Bonanni led the team with 73, the highest output in the program since 2004. The Huntington Beach native’s strong debut season led to his being named MPSF Newcomer of the Year as well as to the All-MPSF First Team.

After being named 2011 MPSF Newcomer of the Year last year, Bowen responded with 64 goals in his sophomore season, also earning a place on the All-MPSF First Team. The San Diego native scored a team-high 11 goals at the MPSF Championship in Los Angeles, while sharing the team lead of 12 hat tricks with Bonanni.

Schwimer was a two-time All-American for the Cardinal (2009-10) during his four-year career on The Farm (2007-10). The crowd-favorite utility from Beverly Hills scored 84 goals during his collegiate career, maxing out with 33 in his senior campaign of 2010 in which he was named to the ACWPC All-America Second Team and All-MPSF First Team. In 2008 Schwimer scored 18 goals, including the game-winner in Stanford’s 6-5 National Collegiate Championship semifinal win over Loyola Marymount, as the Cardinal reached the National Championship Game.

About Miles Bennett-Smith

Miles Bennett-Smith is Chief Operating Officer at The Daily. An avid sports fan from Penryn, Calif., Miles graduated in 2013 with a Bachelor's degree in American Studies. He has previously served as the Editor in Chief and President at The Daily. He has also worked as a reporter for The Sacramento Bee. Email him at eic@stanforddaily.com
Advertisment ad adsense adlogger