Shaw says front seven making up for lack of size with plenty of speed and quickness. Specific praise for Alfieri and Scarlett.: 18 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw: "Everybody in our conference can beat everybody in our conference. It's the Wild West every single week.": 18 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
On Hogan: "if he gets that ankle healthy, he once again becomes a dual threat in the pocket." Makes the bye week more important.: 18 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @dohyoungpark: Shaw: "We need this bye." Doesn't think a bye week will slow down the team's roll.: 18 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw individually praised McCaffrey, Sanders, Love and Wright. Clearly very pleased with his backfield.: 18 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw on Hogan: "He's playing the best football of his career.": 18 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Well that's just about it folks. Stanford improves to 4-1, 3-0 in Pac-12. Your final score from Stanford Stadium: Stanford 55 - Arizona 17.: 18 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Chryst has Risen. The sophomore QB to Stallworth, the first TD for both of them. Stanford breaks into the 50s, 4:03 to play.: 18 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

M. Water Polo: Bowen, Bonanni named to the men’s water polo U.S. Senior National Team roster

Just a few months removed from a season-ending loss in the MPSF Tournament, men’s water polo standouts Alex Bowen and Bret Bonanni earned spots on the U.S. Senior National Team roster.

The announcement came a week before the UANA World Aquatic Championship Qualification Tournament, where Bowen and Bonanni will join Jeffrey Schwimer ’11 to compete for Team USA against Canada, Brazil and Argentina. The two top teams will advance to July’s FINA World Aquatic Championships in Barcelona, Spain.

The tournament will mark the Senior National Team debut for both the sophomore Bowen and freshman Bonanni, as well as Schwimer. Each had spent time with the various youth national teams in the past. Bowen and Bonanni also account for two of the three current collegians on the U.S. roster, being joined by USC’s Nikola Vavic.

Bowen and Bonanni, Stanford’s top two goal scorers in 2012, combined to net 137 goals over the campaign. Bonanni led the team with 73, the highest output in the program since 2004. The Huntington Beach native’s strong debut season led to his being named MPSF Newcomer of the Year as well as to the All-MPSF First Team.

After being named 2011 MPSF Newcomer of the Year last year, Bowen responded with 64 goals in his sophomore season, also earning a place on the All-MPSF First Team. The San Diego native scored a team-high 11 goals at the MPSF Championship in Los Angeles, while sharing the team lead of 12 hat tricks with Bonanni.

Schwimer was a two-time All-American for the Cardinal (2009-10) during his four-year career on The Farm (2007-10). The crowd-favorite utility from Beverly Hills scored 84 goals during his collegiate career, maxing out with 33 in his senior campaign of 2010 in which he was named to the ACWPC All-America Second Team and All-MPSF First Team. In 2008 Schwimer scored 18 goals, including the game-winner in Stanford’s 6-5 National Collegiate Championship semifinal win over Loyola Marymount, as the Cardinal reached the National Championship Game.

About Miles Bennett-Smith

Miles Bennett-Smith is Chief Operating Officer at The Daily. An avid sports fan from Penryn, Calif., Miles graduated in 2013 with a Bachelor's degree in American Studies. He has previously served as the Editor in Chief and President at The Daily. He has also worked as a reporter for The Sacramento Bee. Email him at