Top 5 Worst Things about Winter

Been sitting in your room wearing three pairs of socks and a ski coat? We are suffering together. Miserable weather loves miserable company. Here are the top five worst things about January.

Clothes

Everyone always says the one good thing about winter is the clothes. This isn’t even remotely true, because no one sees the outfits. No one wants to take off their warm jackets, so that cute outfit you spent so much time? Not appreciated. (Boys, I know this is your number-one worry.)

Darkness

The shorter amount of daylight does not induce happiness for anyone, especially because most of us have classes during the few glorious hours of sunlight. This means most of us are just sitting inside on a campus where we all LOVE being active. It also makes it harder to get a good run in outside – although many would consider that a good thing.

Mornings

They become harder and harder. It is so difficult to get out of bed knowing that as soon as we move, the cold will strike our bodies. For me, this generally induces tears because I hate the cold so much. This just makes mornings that much more dreadful.

Temperature

Well. It’s a no-brainer. But it’s cold. We chose Stanford for a number of reasons; generally one of them was “that California sunshine.” I find myself repeating, “This is not what I signed up for Stanford,” as I whimper when I walk outside.

Class

The number-one reason why winter sucks definitely has to be those morning bike rides. I know I have made the mistake of leaving my gloves in my room too many times, leading to numb fingers. At the same time, tears are slowly leaking out of your eyes because of the crisp morning.  All the tourists must think morning bikers are incredibly sad to be going to class.