Dwight Powell on SportsCenter now as the "other piece" of the Rondo trade: 3 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
ICYMI, Dwight Powell was traded from the Celtics to the Mavs as part of the Rajon Rondo deal yesterday.: 10 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWVB: Final: @PennStateVBALL 3, @StanfordWVB 1 Cardinal ends the season 33-2, tying for the most wins in program history. #gosta: 21 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal within one after block from Bugg and Ajanaku. A hush over the crowd in OKC as it's 20-19 PSU in the fourth, up two sets to one.: 22 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
It's getting late quickly for the Card. PSU up 18-15 in the fourth set. Another Dunning timeout, this one the most important of the year.: 22 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
PSU with three straight points to even the fourth set at 13. Timeout Stanford.: 22 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal up 10-7 in the fourth set. Down two sets to one.: 22 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford has been down 2-1 three times this season, and it has a 2-1 record in those matches. (W @ Illinois, W @ Colorado, L @ Washington): 22 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card closed to within one point on three occasions towards the end of the 3rd, but couldn't pull it out. PSU wins it 25-22, takes 2-1 lead.: 22 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @jwallach12: Neither team has been able to get in a rhythm since the beginning of the first set. It's a dogfight out there. Exactly what…: 22 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Football: Coaching rumors swirling, but Wisconsin and Stanford remain on Rose Bowl collision course

With the news of Wisconsin head coach Bret Bielema’s departure for Arkansas coming four weeks before Stanford and Wisconsin meet in the Rose Bowl, here’s a look at how teams in Wisconsin’s situation have done historically. In the history of the Bowl Championship Series, which began during the 1998 college football season, there have been four instances of coaches accepting other coaching jobs before their teams played in the actual BCS game – Randy Edsall’s departure was not officially announced before the Fiesta Bowl, but rumors were rampant leading up to the game.

In the four previous cases where coaches had announced their departure before the game, the teams losing their coaches are 2-2: 1-1 when the coach stayed on for the game and 1-1 when an interim coach took over.

Randy Edsall, Connecticut, 2010 – Edsall left Connecticut for Maryland immediately following a blowout loss to Oklahoma, 48-20, in the 2011 Fiesta Bowl. He is the only one of these five who was not officially named the coach until after the bowl game, but rumors surfaced of him leaving for Maryland well before kickoff.

Brian Kelly, Cincinnati, 2009 – Left Cincinnati for Notre Dame at the end of the 2009 regular season before undefeated Cincinnati played in the 2010 Sugar Bowl against Florida. Florida beat the Bearcats, who were coached by offensive coordinator Jeff Quinn for the game, 51-24.

Rich Rodriguez, West Virginia, 2007 – Left West Virginia for Michigan at the end of the 2007 regular season. Assistant head coach Bill Stewart led the team as interim head coach for the 2008 Fiesta Bowl, when West Virginia upset No. 3 Oklahoma 48-28.

Urban Meyer, Utah, 2004 – Announced after the end of Utah’s 2004 regular season that he was leaving Utah to become Florida’s head coach. Meyer co-head-coached Utah for the 2005 Fiesta Bowl with his replacement, Kyle Whittingham, as the undefeated Utes beat 8-3 Pittsburgh 35-7. Pitt head coach Walt Harris was pushed out after the game and became Stanford’s head coach for two seasons.

Mike Price, 2002, Washington State – Price agreed to become Alabama’s head coach at the end of the 2002 regular season at Washington State. The Cougars, who won the Pac-10 championship, lost 34-14 to Oklahoma in the Rose Bowl. Price coached Washington State in the Rose Bowl, though he had already announced his agreement to coach Alabama the following year.

About Sam Fisher

Sam Fisher is the managing editor of sports for The Stanford Daily's Vol. 244. Sam also does play-by-play for KZSU's coverage of Stanford football, Stanford baseball and Stanford women's basketball. In 2013, Sam co-authored "Rags to Roses: The Rise of Stanford Football," with Joseph Beyda and George Chen.