79-77 is your final from Provo after a furious comeback falls barely short at the end. Card get No. 9 Texas in Austin next. Tough draw.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card looked sloppy and lost at times, but this team's resiliency is really something else. Just won't go away easily.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford and Randle got the looks that they wanted at the end, and the shots just didn't fall. That happens, not much you can do about that.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card get the ball back down 79-77 with 4.8 to go, and Randle misses the buzzer-beater. BYU wins by that final score.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Randle misses the long 3 on a clean look. Stanford will get the ball back with a chance.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Travel. Stanford down 2, gets the ball back and can kill the clock.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Randle with the clutch 3! We have a two-point game, 79-77 with just under a minute to go. ESPNU. Don't miss this ending.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Two forced turnovers later, it's back to a 77-72 game. Stanford doing whatever it can to stick around.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford playing sloppy ball, BYU playing clean, foul-free ball on the other end. It's 72-59 Cougars, who have opened it up with 5 to play.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Football notes: Zychlinski leaves field in a sling; Shaw says Stephens might not play Friday

Stanford continues to climb in the national polls after earning its spot in the Pac-12 Championship game with a win over UCLA last night, rising to No. 8 in the AP poll, No. 9 in the coaches’ poll and possibly all the way up to No. 6 in the BCS when the standings are released tonight. But some injury concerns remain for the Cardinal, particularly with the rematch against the Bruins just five days away.

Stanford coach David Shaw confirmed that nose tackle Terrence Stephens may miss his second consecutive game to deal with a “personal matter” when UCLA comes to the Farm for the conference championship game on Friday. (John Todd/isiphotos.com)

The status of nose tackle Terrence Stephens, who missed last night’s game due to a “personal matter,” is still unclear. After the game, Stanford coach David Shaw said that Stephens might not return against the Bruins. However, his backup, David Parry, played quite well last night, as did Josh Mauro in some limited time at the position.

Punter Daniel Zychlinski was knocked out of the UCLA game after taking a vicious hit on a muffed punt and he seems doubtful to return against the Bruins. The fifth-year senior has been really dialing it in of late, pinning Oregon inside its own 10-yard line several times and booming a couple of punts to change the field position in last week’s upset of the Ducks. He was seen leaving the field with his right arm in a sling.

If he is unable to return, junior backup Ben Rhyne will take over the punting duties. Rhyne hit his first career punt in the second half against the Bruins, and would take over holding duties for the field goal unit in Zychlinski’s absence. He was the holder on Jordan Williamson’s 45-yard attempt last night that hit the crossbar.

About Miles Bennett-Smith

Miles Bennett-Smith is Chief Operating Officer at The Daily. An avid sports fan from Penryn, Calif., Miles graduated in 2013 with a Bachelor's degree in American Studies. He has previously served as the Editor in Chief and President at The Daily. He has also worked as a reporter for The Sacramento Bee. Email him at eic@stanforddaily.com
  • yo bowl

Is Stephens OK for Rose Bowl?

• West Texas

How is it that the Daily hasn’t figured out what this “personal issue” is yet?