Shaw on the Burns fumbled snap: "It was a poor center-quarterback exchange. It was supposed to be a pass and I saw two guys open.": 24 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "We practiced outstanding the last two weeks...It's my job to figure out how to translate that to the game.": 24 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "I don't know if there's a better football player on defense in the country than Solomon Thomas.": 24 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "We're not playing at the level we need at the quarterback.": 24 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "Offensively, there's a lot of questions we have to answer as a staff...that's on me.": 24 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "The defense was outstanding...Coach Lance Anderson did a fantastic job.": 24 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
This is the first time Stanford failed to score a touchdown since the game-that-must-not-named (i.e. 2015 Northwestern): 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Burns hits Irwin who laterals it to McCaffrey who drops the ball before Love falls on it. Appropriate ending for a mess of a game.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Stanford will have four seconds to make some magic happen. Unlikely but, hey, it's college football.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports

Football notes: Zychlinski leaves field in a sling; Shaw says Stephens might not play Friday

Stanford continues to climb in the national polls after earning its spot in the Pac-12 Championship game with a win over UCLA last night, rising to No. 8 in the AP poll, No. 9 in the coaches’ poll and possibly all the way up to No. 6 in the BCS when the standings are released tonight. But some injury concerns remain for the Cardinal, particularly with the rematch against the Bruins just five days away.

Stanford coach David Shaw confirmed that nose tackle Terrence Stephens may miss his second consecutive game to deal with a “personal matter” when UCLA comes to the Farm for the conference championship game on Friday. (John Todd/isiphotos.com)

The status of nose tackle Terrence Stephens, who missed last night’s game due to a “personal matter,” is still unclear. After the game, Stanford coach David Shaw said that Stephens might not return against the Bruins. However, his backup, David Parry, played quite well last night, as did Josh Mauro in some limited time at the position.

Punter Daniel Zychlinski was knocked out of the UCLA game after taking a vicious hit on a muffed punt and he seems doubtful to return against the Bruins. The fifth-year senior has been really dialing it in of late, pinning Oregon inside its own 10-yard line several times and booming a couple of punts to change the field position in last week’s upset of the Ducks. He was seen leaving the field with his right arm in a sling.

If he is unable to return, junior backup Ben Rhyne will take over the punting duties. Rhyne hit his first career punt in the second half against the Bruins, and would take over holding duties for the field goal unit in Zychlinski’s absence. He was the holder on Jordan Williamson’s 45-yard attempt last night that hit the crossbar.

About Miles Bennett-Smith

Miles Bennett-Smith is Chief Operating Officer at The Daily. An avid sports fan from Penryn, Calif., Miles graduated in 2013 with a Bachelor's degree in American Studies. He has previously served as the Editor in Chief and President at The Daily. He has also worked as a reporter for The Sacramento Bee. Email him at eic@stanforddaily.com
  • yo bowl

Is Stephens OK for Rose Bowl?

• West Texas

How is it that the Daily hasn’t figured out what this “personal issue” is yet?