RT @StanfordFball: Stanford ranks No. 1 in the nation in scoring defense (4.3 ppg), total defense (204.3 ypg) and passing defense (66.0 ypg…: 11 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford 35, Army 0. Final.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Looks like Stanford will preserve the shutout.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Hogan connects with Montgomery for a 32-yard TD pass with 6:09 left: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Montgomery was down on the ground for a bit longer than normal. Looks like he's okay though.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Tarpley doing what he's best at: pass coverage: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Great block by Johnny Caspers on the TD run.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Montgomery gets into the end zone out of the Wildcat. Stanford up 28-0 with 11:35 left in the game.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford will take over at the Army 35.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Sports Briefs: Becky Dru an All-American again, Hatton named Pac-12 Newcomer of the Year

Dru earns second straight All-America honor

Senior defender Becky Dru was named a National Field Hockey Coaches Association First-Team All-American for the second consecutive year on Wednesday, three weeks after being named the NorPac Player of the Year.

Stanford field hockey and Alex McCawley (above) were knocked out in the first round of the NCAA Tournament, but senior Becky Dru was named a first-team All-American for the second consecutive year.

The last Stanford player to be named an NFHCA All-American in consecutive seasons was Xanthe Travlos, who was named to the second team in both 2009 and 2010.

Dru led the Cardinal in nearly every offensive category, totaling 12 goals and as many assists as Stanford won its fifth conference title in six seasons. She earned tournament MVP honors for the second time by netting two goals and an assist.

She was the leading figure in one of the most memorable seasons in school history. Though the Cardinal dropped from last year’s 17-4 finish to a 16-7 mark this year, four of those losses came to top-ranked teams, including a 3-2 overtime defeat against No. 1 Maryland in the second game of the season and a pair of losses to eventual NCAA runner-up North Carolina.

Sophomore Kelsey Harbin was also recognized Wednesday with a third-team selection, becoming the 15th player in school history to be named an NFHCA All-American.

Hatton receives Pac-12 frosh award as two Cardinal runners recognized on first team

The Pac-12 named Stanford freshman Cayla Hatton its newcomer of the year on Wednesday as five Cardinal runners were named to all-conference teams, including two — senior Kathy Kroeger and sophomore Joe Rosa — on the first team. Kroger, Hatton and sophomore Aisling Cuffe also earned All-American honors with top-40 finishes at the NCAA Championships.

Hatton finished 28th at this year’s NCAA Championships as part of Stanford’s third-place finish. Five Cardinal runners were named the conference’s top freshman between the award’s inception in 1999 and Teresa McWalters’ recognition in 2004, but Hatton is the first in nearly a decade to earn the award. McWalters would go on to become a four-time All-American.

Kroeger — the Pac-12 individual women’s champion — and Rosa were joined by second-team selection Benjamin Johnson and third-team selections Aisling Cuffe and Jessica Tonn.

About Joseph Beyda

Joseph Beyda is the executive editor of The Stanford Daily. Previously he has worked as the football editor, a sports desk editor, the paper's summer managing editor and a beat reporter for football, baseball and women's soccer. He co-authored The Daily's recent football book, "Rags to Roses," and covered the soccer team's national title run for the New York Times. Joseph is a junior from Cupertino, Calif. majoring in Electrical Engineering. To contact him, please email jbeyda "at" stanford.edu.