First three drives for Stanford: 43, 65, 63 yards. Setting tempo behind confident Hogan and McCaffrey finding holes.: 6 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
MCCAFFREY WITH THE TD. 79 yds for the sophomore with 48 sec. to play in the 1st quarter. That's right -- the 1st quarter. Stanford up 13-0.: 6 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Hogan weaves around defense, throws to Cajuste for a 32-yd gain. First down in the red zone.: 9 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Francis Owusu picks up the first down on a five-yard gain for Stanford. McCaffrey follows with another for the Cardinal.: 10 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
PAC-12 UPDATE: ASU scores to put Sun Devils up 38-23 with less than a minute to play. The undefeated Bruins have fallen.: 11 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Randall nearly sacked by not one but two Stanford players, escapes & gets off a deep but overthrown pass. Cats kick after two penalties: 14 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
McCaffrey with 65 yd with 5:31 to play in the quarter. That 49-yard rush was the longest of his career.: 18 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Great start for Ukropina. 2/2 after missing short yardage field goal last week. Could be in for a busy night.: 19 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
2-2 on the past 2 drives for Ukropina. Cardinal getting into 'Cat territory but haven't been able to convert on 3rd down to extend drives.: 20 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Hogan sacked on third down by Reggie Gilbert. Ukropina on the field, going for the 41-yd fg attempt: 21 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport

M. Basketball: Huestis leads Stanford to victory against Alcorn State

Junior forward Josh Huestis had a career-high 18 points in Stanford’s 69-51 win over Alcorn State on Thursday night at Maples Pavilion. (SIMON WARBY/The Stanford Daily)

A career-high 18 points on 8-of-10 shooting by junior forward Josh Huestis paced Stanford (3-0) to a 69-51 win over Alcorn State (1-2), making for the Cardinal’s eighth straight win over the last two seasons.

Only sophomore guard Chasson Randle joined Huestis in double figures, adding 10 points of his own, as Stanford shot just 29.7 percent from the field. But its 51-29 advantage on the boards kept the Cardinal from losing to the Southwestern Athletic Conference opponent.

“It was a good test for us because we had to rely on our defense, which is what I’ve been preaching to our guys,” said head coach Johnny Dawkins. “It’s all about how you can win defensively and I thought tonight was an indication our kids understood that you can go out there, defend and be successful.”

Stanford will next host Belmont at 6 p.m. on Sunday before it travels to the Bahamas for the Battle 4 Atlantis tournament over Thanksgiving break.

—Joseph Beyda

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to dpark027 'at' to reach Do-Hyoung Park or to jwallach 'at' to reach Jordan Wallach, keepers of the souls of those sportswriters.