Noor Davis makes an acrobatic pick. Last three interceptions for Stanford have been made by linebackers.: 9 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford experimenting with creative ways to get the ball to McCaffrey. Halfback pass earlier, now an end-around.: 13 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RB Ricky Seale and WR Jordan Pratt seeing some action now: 15 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Surprising miss by Williamson. He's usually money from less than 40.: 25 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Took four Aggies defenders to bring down Austin Hooper. During camp Shaw compared him to former Cardinal tight end Jimmy Dray: 26 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Evan Crower now in at quarterback for the Card.: 29 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Carter with a great pass breakup. He's got an extremely high ceiling that he hasn't reached yet.: 31 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Hoffpauir has looked the part today. Great in run support and solid in pass coverage.: 33 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordRivals: Here's thinking Ty Montgomery's day is pretty much over. Christian McCaffrey was back to receive the opening kick.: 36 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @DavidMLombardi: Total yards at halftime: Stanford 274, UC Davis 58 (not including special teams). Average per play: Stanford 9.4, UC D…: 1 hour ago, Stanford Daily Sport

M. Basketball: Huestis leads Stanford to victory against Alcorn State

Junior forward Josh Huestis had a career-high 18 points in Stanford’s 69-51 win over Alcorn State on Thursday night at Maples Pavilion. (SIMON WARBY/The Stanford Daily)

A career-high 18 points on 8-of-10 shooting by junior forward Josh Huestis paced Stanford (3-0) to a 69-51 win over Alcorn State (1-2), making for the Cardinal’s eighth straight win over the last two seasons.

Only sophomore guard Chasson Randle joined Huestis in double figures, adding 10 points of his own, as Stanford shot just 29.7 percent from the field. But its 51-29 advantage on the boards kept the Cardinal from losing to the Southwestern Athletic Conference opponent.

“It was a good test for us because we had to rely on our defense, which is what I’ve been preaching to our guys,” said head coach Johnny Dawkins. “It’s all about how you can win defensively and I thought tonight was an indication our kids understood that you can go out there, defend and be successful.”

Stanford will next host Belmont at 6 p.m. on Sunday before it travels to the Bahamas for the Battle 4 Atlantis tournament over Thanksgiving break.

—Joseph Beyda

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to dpark027 'at' stanford.edu to reach Do-Hyoung Park, keeper of the souls of those sportswriters.