RT @speedracer13193: "Tonight we will enjoy our feast, but tomorrow is when we really eat." -Coach Turley: 3 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWVB: Final: @UWVolleyball 3, @StanfordWVB 1 (25-18, 25-21, 23-25, 25-20). Card drops first match of the year, falling to 28-1, …: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @jwallach12: Of the 17 teams that went undefeated in the reg. season, only 5 went unbeaten in the tourney to become nat'l champs (most r…: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @jwallach12: This week, @StanfordWVB will look to become the 18th DI team to go undefeated in the regular season since @NCAAVolleyball b…: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @LombardiESPN: Big: Stanford WR Ty Montgomery will NOT play vs UCLA: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @agonzalezAP: Stanford coach David Shaw said Ty Montgomery out for UCLA. Said after Cal game it was a right shoulder sprain.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford falls to UC Irvine 1-0 in extra time: 4 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

M. Basketball: Huestis leads Stanford to victory against Alcorn State

Junior forward Josh Huestis had a career-high 18 points in Stanford’s 69-51 win over Alcorn State on Thursday night at Maples Pavilion. (SIMON WARBY/The Stanford Daily)

A career-high 18 points on 8-of-10 shooting by junior forward Josh Huestis paced Stanford (3-0) to a 69-51 win over Alcorn State (1-2), making for the Cardinal’s eighth straight win over the last two seasons.

Only sophomore guard Chasson Randle joined Huestis in double figures, adding 10 points of his own, as Stanford shot just 29.7 percent from the field. But its 51-29 advantage on the boards kept the Cardinal from losing to the Southwestern Athletic Conference opponent.

“It was a good test for us because we had to rely on our defense, which is what I’ve been preaching to our guys,” said head coach Johnny Dawkins. “It’s all about how you can win defensively and I thought tonight was an indication our kids understood that you can go out there, defend and be successful.”

Stanford will next host Belmont at 6 p.m. on Sunday before it travels to the Bahamas for the Battle 4 Atlantis tournament over Thanksgiving break.

—Joseph Beyda

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to dpark027 'at' stanford.edu to reach Do-Hyoung Park, keeper of the souls of those sportswriters.