79-77 is your final from Provo after a furious comeback falls barely short at the end. Card get No. 9 Texas in Austin next. Tough draw.: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card looked sloppy and lost at times, but this team's resiliency is really something else. Just won't go away easily.: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford and Randle got the looks that they wanted at the end, and the shots just didn't fall. That happens, not much you can do about that.: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card get the ball back down 79-77 with 4.8 to go, and Randle misses the buzzer-beater. BYU wins by that final score.: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Randle misses the long 3 on a clean look. Stanford will get the ball back with a chance.: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Travel. Stanford down 2, gets the ball back and can kill the clock.: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Randle with the clutch 3! We have a two-point game, 79-77 with just under a minute to go. ESPNU. Don't miss this ending.: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Two forced turnovers later, it's back to a 77-72 game. Stanford doing whatever it can to stick around.: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford playing sloppy ball, BYU playing clean, foul-free ball on the other end. It's 72-59 Cougars, who have opened it up with 5 to play.: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Miscues and sloppy passing from Stanford cue another BYU run, and the lead is back to 9 at 68-59 with 6 minutes to go.: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

M. Basketball: Huestis leads Stanford to victory against Alcorn State

Junior forward Josh Huestis had a career-high 18 points in Stanford’s 69-51 win over Alcorn State on Thursday night at Maples Pavilion. (SIMON WARBY/The Stanford Daily)

A career-high 18 points on 8-of-10 shooting by junior forward Josh Huestis paced Stanford (3-0) to a 69-51 win over Alcorn State (1-2), making for the Cardinal’s eighth straight win over the last two seasons.

Only sophomore guard Chasson Randle joined Huestis in double figures, adding 10 points of his own, as Stanford shot just 29.7 percent from the field. But its 51-29 advantage on the boards kept the Cardinal from losing to the Southwestern Athletic Conference opponent.

“It was a good test for us because we had to rely on our defense, which is what I’ve been preaching to our guys,” said head coach Johnny Dawkins. “It’s all about how you can win defensively and I thought tonight was an indication our kids understood that you can go out there, defend and be successful.”

Stanford will next host Belmont at 6 p.m. on Sunday before it travels to the Bahamas for the Battle 4 Atlantis tournament over Thanksgiving break.

—Joseph Beyda

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to awesthem 'at' stanford.edu to reach Ashley Westhem, keeper of the souls of those sportswriters.