RT @si_soccer: U.S. Soccer announces Aron Johannsson (toe infection) is out for Tuesday's game vs Switzerland. Jordan Morris up from U23s t…: 22 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @stanfordmswim: David Nolan steps onto the blocks. Goes 1:39.38 in the 200 IM. Fastest ever. NCAA title. Drops mic.: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @RuleofTree: Quarterback KJ Costello commits to Stanford. 4-star rated as the 33rd best player in the country: 4 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @treeSIDjorge: Stanford's home tilt with Vanderbilt in 2024 will mark the first ever visit to Stanford Stadium by an SEC program: 5 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford announces football series with Vanderbilt (2021/4/5/7) and TCU (2024/7).: 5 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

M. Basketball: Huestis leads Stanford to victory against Alcorn State

Junior forward Josh Huestis had a career-high 18 points in Stanford’s 69-51 win over Alcorn State on Thursday night at Maples Pavilion. (SIMON WARBY/The Stanford Daily)

A career-high 18 points on 8-of-10 shooting by junior forward Josh Huestis paced Stanford (3-0) to a 69-51 win over Alcorn State (1-2), making for the Cardinal’s eighth straight win over the last two seasons.

Only sophomore guard Chasson Randle joined Huestis in double figures, adding 10 points of his own, as Stanford shot just 29.7 percent from the field. But its 51-29 advantage on the boards kept the Cardinal from losing to the Southwestern Athletic Conference opponent.

“It was a good test for us because we had to rely on our defense, which is what I’ve been preaching to our guys,” said head coach Johnny Dawkins. “It’s all about how you can win defensively and I thought tonight was an indication our kids understood that you can go out there, defend and be successful.”

Stanford will next host Belmont at 6 p.m. on Sunday before it travels to the Bahamas for the Battle 4 Atlantis tournament over Thanksgiving break.

—Joseph Beyda

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to dpark027 'at' stanford.edu to reach Do-Hyoung Park or to jwallach 'at' stanford.edu to reach Jordan Wallach, keepers of the souls of those sportswriters.