Dwight Powell on SportsCenter now as the "other piece" of the Rondo trade: 5 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
ICYMI, Dwight Powell was traded from the Celtics to the Mavs as part of the Rajon Rondo deal yesterday.: 12 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWVB: Final: @PennStateVBALL 3, @StanfordWVB 1 Cardinal ends the season 33-2, tying for the most wins in program history. #gosta: 24 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal within one after block from Bugg and Ajanaku. A hush over the crowd in OKC as it's 20-19 PSU in the fourth, up two sets to one.: 24 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
It's getting late quickly for the Card. PSU up 18-15 in the fourth set. Another Dunning timeout, this one the most important of the year.: 24 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
PSU with three straight points to even the fourth set at 13. Timeout Stanford.: 24 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal up 10-7 in the fourth set. Down two sets to one.: 24 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford has been down 2-1 three times this season, and it has a 2-1 record in those matches. (W @ Illinois, W @ Colorado, L @ Washington): 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card closed to within one point on three occasions towards the end of the 3rd, but couldn't pull it out. PSU wins it 25-22, takes 2-1 lead.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @jwallach12: Neither team has been able to get in a rhythm since the beginning of the first set. It's a dogfight out there. Exactly what…: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport

SPORTS BRIEFS: Jahn leads Pac-12 award winners in men’s soccer, Howard named Pac-12 Defensive and Freshman Player of the Week after career game and sailing caps fall season with a pair of wins.

Jahn leads long list of Pac-12 award winners in men’s soccer.

With a hat trick against cross-Bay rival California last Friday and the Pac-12 Player of the Week award, senior forward Adam Jahn finished his collegiate soccer career in style. The El Macero, Calif., native’s goals helped Stanford to a 6-1 defeat of Berkeley in the final game of the season and its second victory over Cal this year. The performance also brought Jahn his second weekly honors, the first coming just two weeks ago on Oct. 30.

Senior Adam Jahn was named to the All-Pac-12 First Team on Tuesday, one of six Stanford players honored with an all-conference award. Jahn scored a career-high 13 goals (Stanford Daily File Photo).

When the Pac-12 awards were announced on Tuesday, six Stanford players were honored, with Jahn leading the list as a member of the All-Pac-12 first team. Named to the All-Pac-12 second team were senior Hunter Gorskie and freshman Aaron Kovar, with senior Dersu Abolfathi, junior J.J. Koval and sophomore Zach Batteer receiving honorable mention.

Jahn finished his career with 24 goals and 12 assists, while Gorskie led the Stanford defense to six clean sheets as the captain and central defender. Kovar, who also became just the second Cardinal player to win freshman of the year honors, scored three goals and had two assists out of the central midfield for Stanford.

Batteer broke out in his second year on the Farm with six goals, all coming in the last 10 matches of the year. And Abolfathi and Koval were both key cogs in the Cardinal midfield.

The season-ending win over Cal ensured Stanford finished the season with a winning record in both the Pac-12 conference (5-4-1) and overall (9-8-1), and was the Cardinal’s largest victory since a 6-0 result over Richmond in 2002. It was also the first hat trick for a Stanford player in 11 years, dating back to the three goals scored by Matt Janusz ’05 against Santa Clara in the second round of the NCAA tournament in 2001.

Freshman Howard named Pac-12 Defensive and Freshman Player of the Week after career game.

Stanford’s Brittany Howard was rewarded for her career effort in Stanford’s wins over Washington and Washington State with two conference honors on Monday, earning both the Pac-12 Defensive and Freshman Player of the Week awards.

The Los Altos, Calif., native had 22 kills and 43 digs in the two-game sweep of the Huskies and Cougars, including a career-high 31 digs in the four-set win over Washington that tied for the third most in a single match in school history and the most ever by a non-libero.

An outside hitter, Howard has been coming on strong in recent weeks as head coach John Dunning continues to rely heavily on the freshman core, with No. 1 Stanford currently on a 22-match winning streak and sitting atop the Pac-12 with a 24-2 record.

Sailing caps fall season with a pair of wins.

Stanford returned home from the Pacific Coast Collegiate Sailing Conference Championships in Santa Barbara, Calif., last weekend with first place in both the co-ed and dinghy competitions.

In the 21-team co-ed event, the Cardinal comfortably led the field with just 77 points, with the closest challenger, Long Beach State, with 124. The team’s score was split between 49 points for the A-Division and 28 for the B-Division. Meanwhile, in the 20-team dinghy competition, Stanford took first place with 14 points, ahead of second-place Hawaii (28) and third-place Long Beach State (38).

In Sailing World’s most recently released college rankings, Stanford’s co-ed team was placed seventh, and the women’s team was 15th.

The sailing teams will next be in action at the Rose Bowl Regatta in Long Beach over the first weekend of 2013.

About Miles Bennett-Smith

Miles Bennett-Smith is Chief Operating Officer at The Daily. An avid sports fan from Penryn, Calif., Miles graduated in 2013 with a Bachelor's degree in American Studies. He has previously served as the Editor in Chief and President at The Daily. He has also worked as a reporter for The Sacramento Bee. Email him at eic@stanforddaily.com