Shaw on the Burns fumbled snap: "It was a poor center-quarterback exchange. It was supposed to be a pass and I saw two guys open.": 5 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "We practiced outstanding the last two weeks...It's my job to figure out how to translate that to the game.": 5 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "I don't know if there's a better football player on defense in the country than Solomon Thomas.": 5 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "We're not playing at the level we need at the quarterback.": 5 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "Offensively, there's a lot of questions we have to answer as a staff...that's on me.": 5 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "The defense was outstanding...Coach Lance Anderson did a fantastic job.": 5 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
This is the first time Stanford failed to score a touchdown since the game-that-must-not-named (i.e. 2015 Northwestern): 5 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Burns hits Irwin who laterals it to McCaffrey who drops the ball before Love falls on it. Appropriate ending for a mess of a game.: 5 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Stanford will have four seconds to make some magic happen. Unlikely but, hey, it's college football.: 5 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports

Football: QB Hogan leads Stanford in 48-0 rout of Colorado

For all the talk of a quarterback controversy after Stanford head coach David Shaw said this week that incumbent starter Josh Nunes would share more time with backup Kevin Hogan, Saturday’s 48-0 rout of Colorado might have ended the debate.

After Nunes started the game with two stalled drives, Hogan came in and led the Cardinal (7-2, 5-1 Pac-12) on four six straight scoring drives to dominate a weak Buffaloes team (1-8, 1-5) on the road.

Senior Drew Terrell (4) had three catches for 42 yards in Stanford’s 48-0 rout of Colorado (LARRY GE/The Stanford Daily).

Stanford’s defense was smothering all afternoon long. Junior safety Ed Reynolds opened the day’s scoring on an interception return for the second consecutive week and the Cardinal finished with five sacks and held Colorado to -21 rushing yards.

But the story of the day was the play under center. While the Buffaloes defense could not be described as stout, the redshirt freshman Hogan looked accurate and composed under pressure in the first extended action of his career. He finished the day 18-23 for 184 with two touchdowns.

“The door was open for [Hogan] and he walked through,” Shaw said after the game.

The play calling focused heavily on a mix of different looks out of the backfield—starting running back Stepfan Taylor took just 10 carries and ran for 43 yards. Four players had at least 35 yards, led by Hogan’s 48 on six attempts.

With a huge game next week at home against Oregon State looming, Hogan likely has taken control of the starting spot and his rapport with tight ends Zach Ertz and Levine Toilolo—the pair combined for nine catches, 100 yards and both touchdowns—is a promising sign for Stanford’s offense going forward.

About Miles Bennett-Smith

Miles Bennett-Smith is Chief Operating Officer at The Daily. An avid sports fan from Penryn, Calif., Miles graduated in 2013 with a Bachelor's degree in American Studies. He has previously served as the Editor in Chief and President at The Daily. He has also worked as a reporter for The Sacramento Bee. Email him at eic@stanforddaily.com