RT @DavidMLombardi: Also, coach Shaw’s and Ty Montgomery’s comments today had a much more optimistic vibe re: Montgomery’s arm injury than …: 12 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @jjarcega_22: Blessed to officially be committed to Stanford University!! #GoCard #NerdGang #Cali 🌲♦️🏈🙏: 14 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWTennis: .@CarolZhao95 is moving on at the @BOTWClassic! With Zhao leading 6-2, 1-0, @wickytennis retires and the match is done…: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Upset alert at Bank of the West Classic: rising Stanford sophomore Carol Zhao takes 1st set against world's No. 65 player, Yanina Wickmayer.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
#FullbackU RT @RWilliams_6: I am very blessed and honored to announce my commitment to STANFORD UNIVERSITY. #GoCardinal 🌲🌲🌲: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @TyGaff: Sincere appreciation to @Panthers nation for the support and love. I couldn't have asked for anything more given my injury. Tha…: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Football: QB Hogan leads Stanford in 48-0 rout of Colorado

For all the talk of a quarterback controversy after Stanford head coach David Shaw said this week that incumbent starter Josh Nunes would share more time with backup Kevin Hogan, Saturday’s 48-0 rout of Colorado might have ended the debate.

After Nunes started the game with two stalled drives, Hogan came in and led the Cardinal (7-2, 5-1 Pac-12) on four six straight scoring drives to dominate a weak Buffaloes team (1-8, 1-5) on the road.

Senior Drew Terrell (4) had three catches for 42 yards in Stanford’s 48-0 rout of Colorado (LARRY GE/The Stanford Daily).

Stanford’s defense was smothering all afternoon long. Junior safety Ed Reynolds opened the day’s scoring on an interception return for the second consecutive week and the Cardinal finished with five sacks and held Colorado to -21 rushing yards.

But the story of the day was the play under center. While the Buffaloes defense could not be described as stout, the redshirt freshman Hogan looked accurate and composed under pressure in the first extended action of his career. He finished the day 18-23 for 184 with two touchdowns.

“The door was open for [Hogan] and he walked through,” Shaw said after the game.

The play calling focused heavily on a mix of different looks out of the backfield—starting running back Stepfan Taylor took just 10 carries and ran for 43 yards. Four players had at least 35 yards, led by Hogan’s 48 on six attempts.

With a huge game next week at home against Oregon State looming, Hogan likely has taken control of the starting spot and his rapport with tight ends Zach Ertz and Levine Toilolo—the pair combined for nine catches, 100 yards and both touchdowns—is a promising sign for Stanford’s offense going forward.

About Miles Bennett-Smith

Miles Bennett-Smith is Chief Operating Officer at The Daily. An avid sports fan from Penryn, Calif., Miles graduated in 2013 with a Bachelor's degree in American Studies. He has previously served as the Editor in Chief and President at The Daily. He has also worked as a reporter for The Sacramento Bee. Email him at eic@stanforddaily.com