Shaw on how he expects the team to respond: "I've got a locker room full of Stanford guys. They're leaders...I expect them to bounce back.": 9 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "We're going to attack like we're 0-12...but not overreact.": 9 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "They played extremely well...We got ourselves behind the eight ball." Identified third down and noise as big problems: 9 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Total domination from the Huskies tonight. Chris Petersen and his staff deserve a lot of credit for coming out firing and never letting up: 9 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Isaiah Brandt-Sims records his first career catch in his home state: 10 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Stanford came into this game having allowed 3 total TDs. Cardinal have given up 6 tonight: 10 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Huskies add another touchdown. First time Stanford has surrendered over 40 points since 2014 at Oregon. UW leads 44-6.: 10 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
KJ Carta-Samuels in at QB. Inherits a very different situation compares to last year: 10 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Stanford rolling in second unit on the defensive line here: 10 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports

M. Golf: Stanford finishes fourth at Cypress Point

As one of eight teams participating in the Stanford Classic, Patrick Rodgers, Cameron Wilson and the rest of the No. 19 Cardinal had an opportunity to do what Tiger Woods, Rory McIlroy or most of the world’s best golfers never did: compete at the Cypress Point Club.

While Stanford’s dreams of taking the team title faded in the face of a red-hot Texas squad on Tuesday, the chance to play competitive rounds on the No. 2 course in Golf Magazine’s 2011 Best Courses in America was certainly a thrill and great opportunity for the team.

From 1947 until 1991, Cypress Point was one of the three courses used in the Crosby/AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am. But after being dropped from the AT&T Pro-Am rotation in 1991, only member events have been held on the course famed for its finishing holes along the Pacific Ocean.

Seeded seventh in the eight-team event, Stanford took advantage of those holes during Monday’s first round match against No. 2 seed Washington. In cold and wet conditions, the Cardinal beat the Huskies 10-2 in the four-ball format that saw three two-man teams from each side compete in head-to-head matchups.

Junior Cameron Wilson—returned from an early injury—and freshman David Boote led the charge, capturing six of the team’s total points.

But in round two of the championship bracket, Stanford ran into No. 10 Duke. Sophomore Patrick Rodgers and junior Shane Lebow shutout their opponent in the single ball, alternating shot format. Wilson and Boote could only earn half a point and senior Steve Kearney and freshman Dominick Francks were shutout as the Blue Devils took the match 7.5-4.5.

That put Duke through to the championship match against No. 9 UCLA, and the Cardinal into the consolation final against No. 2 Texas on Tuesday.

The Longhorns, led by Jordan Spieth, put together an impressive performance in the individual match play pairings. The six one-man “teams” from each school had four points up for grabs: two points to the winner of the 18 holes, one point for winning the front and back nines.

Wilson had little trouble dispatching Texas’ Julio Vegas, earning all four available points. Boote, too, continued his strong play of late and captured three points from the Longhorns Kramer Kickok.

But Lebow took only one point from Toni Hakula, Rodgers managed just half a point against Spieth, and Kearney and Francks were both shut out as Texas won the match 15.5- 8.5.

In the championship match, UCLA stayed hot and took the team title with a dominating 18-6 victory over Duke.

Stanford still has one tournament left in the fall season, breaking out the clubs for the Gifford Intercollegiate at CordeValle next week before a three-month layoff until the spring season begins in earnest at the Amer Ami Invitational from Kona, Hawaii

About Miles Bennett-Smith

Miles Bennett-Smith is Chief Operating Officer at The Daily. An avid sports fan from Penryn, Calif., Miles graduated in 2013 with a Bachelor's degree in American Studies. He has previously served as the Editor in Chief and President at The Daily. He has also worked as a reporter for The Sacramento Bee. Email him at eic@stanforddaily.com