Shaw on the Burns fumbled snap: "It was a poor center-quarterback exchange. It was supposed to be a pass and I saw two guys open.": 2 days ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "We practiced outstanding the last two weeks...It's my job to figure out how to translate that to the game.": 2 days ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "I don't know if there's a better football player on defense in the country than Solomon Thomas.": 2 days ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "We're not playing at the level we need at the quarterback.": 2 days ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "Offensively, there's a lot of questions we have to answer as a staff...that's on me.": 2 days ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "The defense was outstanding...Coach Lance Anderson did a fantastic job.": 2 days ago, StanfordDaily Sports

M. Soccer: Cardinal stuns No. 25 UC-Santa Barbara on the road

Senior Adam Jahn turned 4,132 home fans away in disappointment, nodding home a cross from sophomore Jimmy Callinan for the golden goal in Stanford’s thrilling overtime win over No. 25 UC-Santa Barbara on Friday night.

Freshman Aaron Kovar (above with ball) and the Stanford men’s soccer team knocked off No. 25 UC-Santa Barbara on the road Friday night (AVI BAGLA/The Stanford Daily).

It was Jahn’s team-leading ninth goal of the season, but few mattered more than this one, which gives the Cardinal (7-7-1) its second road win of the season over a ranked opponent and a glimmer of hope in the race for the NCAA Tournament.

“What was quite special is the way we played, how well we defended, it didn’t allow the crowd to get going a lot of the time,” coach Jeremy Gunn said. “Until we gave away a couple of counterattacking opportunities in the second half, we managed to keep the crowd fairly quiet.”

Goalie Drew Hutchins made four saves for his fifth shutout of the season, and Stanford’s defense held up against a Gauchos team (9-4-3) that has struggled to score goals recently after starting off the season on fire.

But Santa Barbara managed to outshoot the Cardinal in the end, 17-12, one of the few times this season Stanford has not held an edge in shots.

Jahn struck when it mattered most, however, giving the Cardinal some much needed confidence and a quality non-conference win heading into next weekend’s critical matchup with No. 7 UCLA.

About Miles Bennett-Smith

Miles Bennett-Smith is Chief Operating Officer at The Daily. An avid sports fan from Penryn, Calif., Miles graduated in 2013 with a Bachelor's degree in American Studies. He has previously served as the Editor in Chief and President at The Daily. He has also worked as a reporter for The Sacramento Bee. Email him at eic@stanforddaily.com