@treeSIDjorge Yet the Cardinal has won the conference five times over that stretch...: 20 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @treeSIDjorge: Two-time defending champion Stanford second in Pac-12 preseason media poll ... poll began in 1961, Cardinal not once pick…: 20 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @CWCameronWalker: By far the hardest decision of my life, but I will spend the next chapter of my life at Stanford University under Coac…: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordRivals: Four-star forward Cameron Walker, the nation's No. 61 player, just tweeted that he has committed to #Stanford. Huge get…: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

SPORTS BRIEF: Cardinal takes singles, doubles titles at ITA Regional Championship

The Stanford women’s tennis team won both the singles and doubles draw at the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) Northwest Regional Championships, which took place at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium, on Tuesday.

Freshman Krista Hardebeck, who entered the tournament as the fifth seed, claimed the singles title by defeating No. 4 Annett Schutting of Cal 6-3, 4-6, 7-6(4). Losing only two sets throughout the entire tournament, Hardebeck is now 11-1 on the season.

The Cardinal duo of senior Stacey Tan and sophomore Ellen Tsay defended their doubles title from last season by taking down Cal’s double team Tayler Davis and Annie Goransson 8-4. Tan and Tsay dominated the field, giving up four games or less in the five matches that they played in.

In the process, Hardebeck earned an automatic berth to the singles draw of the ITA National Intercollegiate Indoor Championships in Flushing Meadows, N.Y. from Nov. 8 -11 while Tan and Tsay also qualified for the doubles draw of the same tournament.

About George Chen

George Chen is the President and Editor in Chief of The Stanford Daily. Previously he worked at The Daily as the Executive Editor, Managing Editor of Sports, the football beat reporter and a sports desk editor. George also co-authored The Daily's recent book documenting the rise of Stanford football, "Rags to Roses." He is a junior from Painted Post, NY majoring in Biology. To contact him, please email eic@stanforddaily.com.