Q&A: Kissing the Tree at FMOTQ

Stanford’s unofficial mascot, the Tree, has long held a reputation as the most active kisser at Full Moon on the Quad (FMOTQ). The Stanford Daily chatted with Tree Nicoletta von Heidegger ’13 about her FMOTQ expectations.

The Stanford Daily (TSD): How are you feeling about tonight? Are you preparing in any way?

Nicoletta von Heidegger (NH): I am excited but a little nervous. It is going to be a lot of fun but I am quite a germaphobe. I’m very involved with health on campus so this should be interesting. I’ve definitely been taking all my vitamins.

TSD: This is the first time in seven years that the Tree is a girl. How has that been and how will that change the way you approach FMOTQ this year?

NH: It has been amazing and I hope that in the future there will be more female trees. In fact, I believe that a female tree holds the record for the number of kisses with over 1,000 kisses about a decade ago. I’m very competitive but I’m not sure I want to beat that record.

TSD: How do the logistics work? How do you keep count of the kisses and keep order around you?

NH: I have a team of six people who will be protecting and assisting me throughout the night. One of them is a former Tree and the rest are good friends. All will be dressed in army outfits. They will have various jobs from managing the clicker used to record kisses to handing me mouthwash.

TSD: In the past, trees have not always worn the tree outfit to FMOTQ. What are you planning on wearing?

NH: I am very proud of the Tree outfit I made. I draped Christmas lights all over it too. The point is to be out there so I figured, go big or go home.

TSD: Will you kiss a girl?

NH: Definitely! I love everyone.

-Natasha Weaser