Football camp update: Josh Nunes named starting quarterback

Redshirt junior Josh Nunes will be the starting quarterback for Stanford football, officially announced by head coach David Shaw on Tuesday morning.

“It’s not about who hasn’t played well,” Shaw said. “All of our quarterbacks have competed, all of our quarterbacks have approached this with the workmanlike attitude, but Josh as been the most consistent over this time, so he’ll be our starter.”

The decision concludes a quarterback competition that has lasted for over half a year. Nunes and redshirt sophomore Brett Nottingham were considered the front-runners in the race while redshirt freshman Kevin Hogan was also in the mix to replace former Cardinal Andrew Luck.

“As we talked from the very beginning—our first team meeting last winter—the guy who’s playing quarterback is going to be the guy that can do it all as far as managing the running game, managing our protections and getting us to the right play,” said Shaw. “And Josh has done that.”

Nunes served as the primary backup behind Luck in 2010 and saw action in four games.

“The great thing is that the path has been laid here for how to be a successful quarterback at Stanford,” Nunes said. “It’s about following the pattern and emulating the kind of player that [Luck] was.”

From here on out, Nunes will be getting the reps in practice with the first-team offense. Stanford’s season opener against San Jose State is slated for a 7 p.m. kickoff on Aug. 31.

George Chen is a senior staff writer at The Stanford Daily who writes football, football and more football. Previously he worked at The Daily as the President and Editor in Chief, Executive Editor, Managing Editor of Sports, the football beat reporter and a sports desk editor. George also co-authored The Daily's recent book documenting the rise of Stanford football, "Rags to Roses." He is a senior from Painted Post, NY majoring in Biology. To contact him, please email at [email protected].