Hogan is threading some tight needles today. Some very, very impressive throws like that one to Cajuste. Perfect 9-for-9 to start.: 4 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
McCaffrey reverse to Owusu for the big gain. There's your quota of David Shaw trickery for the day.: 5 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Per @ksvoboda, Jeff Trojan has STILL caught every ball thrown to him in his career. 18 targets, 18 catches.: 7 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Looking like a methodical Stanford drive and not one of the penalties all over ones. Chains keep moving.: 7 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
It's good. 10-7. Given starting field position and how that drive ended, though, that's a win for Stanford's defense.: 14 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford front seven starting to get some real push and pressure on Hundley and his offensive line. Fairbairn out for the kick.: 15 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Also, look at these time of possession numbers: Stanford 12:15, UCLA 2:45.: 24 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford has spent about as much time going forward as it has going backward. UCLA must be rubbing off.: 25 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
End of the first quarter: Stanford 7, UCLA 7.: 25 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Liking the McCaffrey read-option call too, even when it doesn't work. He's pass-protect training away from being a fantastic RB.: 25 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport

W. Tennis: Burdette, final Cardinal holdout at Bank of the West, falls to Bartoli

Stanford senior Mallory Burdette nearly pulled out a set against the 10th-ranked player in the world, Marion Bartoli, at the Bank of the West Classic Thursday, but dropped the second-round match 7-5, 6-0.

“I’m definitely aware of how great that experience was,” Burdette said after the match. “I think I had my chances there in the first set as she was getting going.

“It’s just a testament to how great of a player she is,” she said. “When you’re playing a top player like Marion, if you don’t take your chances when they’re there, they’re probably going to take it away from you.”
Burdette dropped a three-setter with Cardinal doubles partner Nicole Gibbs on Wednesday, and since Gibbs had fallen quickly to Serena Williams earlier that afternoon, Stanford has no players remaining in the tournament.

Williams and Bartoli are the No. 1 and No. 2 seeds in the tournament, respectively. Bartoli’s quarterfinal match against Belgium’s Yanina Wickmayer begins today at 2 p.m., and Williams faces South Africa’s Chanelle Scheepers at 7 p.m.

—Joseph Beyda

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to dpark027 'at' stanford.edu to reach Do-Hyoung Park, keeper of the souls of those sportswriters.