RT @si_soccer: U.S. Soccer announces Aron Johannsson (toe infection) is out for Tuesday's game vs Switzerland. Jordan Morris up from U23s t…: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @stanfordmswim: David Nolan steps onto the blocks. Goes 1:39.38 in the 200 IM. Fastest ever. NCAA title. Drops mic.: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @RuleofTree: Quarterback KJ Costello commits to Stanford. 4-star rated as the 33rd best player in the country: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @treeSIDjorge: Stanford's home tilt with Vanderbilt in 2024 will mark the first ever visit to Stanford Stadium by an SEC program: 4 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford announces football series with Vanderbilt (2021/4/5/7) and TCU (2024/7).: 4 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

W. Tennis: Burdette, final Cardinal holdout at Bank of the West, falls to Bartoli

Stanford senior Mallory Burdette nearly pulled out a set against the 10th-ranked player in the world, Marion Bartoli, at the Bank of the West Classic Thursday, but dropped the second-round match 7-5, 6-0.

“I’m definitely aware of how great that experience was,” Burdette said after the match. “I think I had my chances there in the first set as she was getting going.

“It’s just a testament to how great of a player she is,” she said. “When you’re playing a top player like Marion, if you don’t take your chances when they’re there, they’re probably going to take it away from you.”
Burdette dropped a three-setter with Cardinal doubles partner Nicole Gibbs on Wednesday, and since Gibbs had fallen quickly to Serena Williams earlier that afternoon, Stanford has no players remaining in the tournament.

Williams and Bartoli are the No. 1 and No. 2 seeds in the tournament, respectively. Bartoli’s quarterfinal match against Belgium’s Yanina Wickmayer begins today at 2 p.m., and Williams faces South Africa’s Chanelle Scheepers at 7 p.m.

—Joseph Beyda

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to dpark027 'at' stanford.edu to reach Do-Hyoung Park or to jwallach 'at' stanford.edu to reach Jordan Wallach, keepers of the souls of those sportswriters.