Carol Zhao defeated in first round of @BOTWClassic 6-3, 6-0. Gibbs now sole representative for @StanfordWTennis: 7 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Uphill battle for @CarolZhao95 after losing first set 3-6 to Barthel. @BOTWClassic fans are behind her, though.: 8 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Back to back? After a win from @Gibbsyyyy, Carol Zhao looks to make it two in a row for @StanfordWTennis: 9 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Nicole Gibbs '14 defeats Caroline Garcia 6-4, 7-5 and moves on in @BOTWClassic @StanfordWTennis: 14 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
.@Gibbsyyyy holds off comeback from Garcia to capture first set, 6-4.: 15 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Gibbs off to great start, breaking Garcia twice en route to a 3-0 lead in first set.: 15 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @KeithArnold: Had a great Q&A with @dohyoungpark of @StanfordSports, talking ND-Stanford and finishing my offseason previews: http://t.c…: 4 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

M. Basketball: Peter Sauer, former Cardinal forward, dies at 35

Former Stanford forward Peter Sauer died Sunday night after a recreational basketball game in White Plains, N.Y., when the 35-year-old collapsed suddenly on a concrete court.

In a statement, former Cardinal basketball coach Mike Montgomery called Sauer “one of the most popular players [he had] ever coached.”

Sauer graduated from Stanford in 1999 as a four-year player for a team that made straight NCAA tournament appearances, helping pave the way for a Pac-10 championship his senior year and a memorable Final Four run in 1998. He had 10 points and seven rebounds in the Cardinal’s semifinal loss to Kentucky that year, an 86-85 heartbreaker, and averaged 7.9 points per game over his career.

As a sophomore, he made one of the most memorable shots in recent memory for Stanford, sinking a three-pointer with six seconds left in an 81-80 victory over No.12 Arizona.

Sauer worked in finance after leaving the Farm, and had three daughters and a wife, Amanda.

He recently visited with last year’s Stanford basketball team, speaking to the Cardinal during its NIT championship run in the winter.

“Peter truly embodied what it meant to be a Stanford student-athlete,” said current head coach Johnny Dawkins in a statement. “Meeting him for the first time, you could easily see how invested he was in this program and really, all of Stanford athletics.”

—Joseph Beyda

Check back Thursday, as The Daily takes a look through its archives to relive Sauer’s career.

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to dpark027 'at' stanford.edu to reach Do-Hyoung Park or to jwallach 'at' stanford.edu to reach Jordan Wallach, keepers of the souls of those sportswriters.