RT @DavidMLombardi: The news out of Stanford presser: LBs Hemschoot, Palma out. Noor Davis expanded depth role vs USC. Lil concerning given…: 6 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordRivals: Zach Hoffpauir will start at safety opposite Jordan Richards this Saturday for Stanford.: 6 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford falls to 13th in the AP poll.: 8 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
The Card is now the second-highest Pac-12 team in the Coaches Poll -- UCLA slipped to 11 after its close win against Virginia.: 10 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford No. 10 in this week's Coaches Poll.: 10 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @samfisher908: Huge props to @davidcohn4 whose call of the @TyMontgomery2 PR TD won him @NCAAFootball student-radio call of the week htt…: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport

M. Basketball: Peter Sauer, former Cardinal forward, dies at 35

Former Stanford forward Peter Sauer died Sunday night after a recreational basketball game in White Plains, N.Y., when the 35-year-old collapsed suddenly on a concrete court.

In a statement, former Cardinal basketball coach Mike Montgomery called Sauer “one of the most popular players [he had] ever coached.”

Sauer graduated from Stanford in 1999 as a four-year player for a team that made straight NCAA tournament appearances, helping pave the way for a Pac-10 championship his senior year and a memorable Final Four run in 1998. He had 10 points and seven rebounds in the Cardinal’s semifinal loss to Kentucky that year, an 86-85 heartbreaker, and averaged 7.9 points per game over his career.

As a sophomore, he made one of the most memorable shots in recent memory for Stanford, sinking a three-pointer with six seconds left in an 81-80 victory over No.12 Arizona.

Sauer worked in finance after leaving the Farm, and had three daughters and a wife, Amanda.

He recently visited with last year’s Stanford basketball team, speaking to the Cardinal during its NIT championship run in the winter.

“Peter truly embodied what it meant to be a Stanford student-athlete,” said current head coach Johnny Dawkins in a statement. “Meeting him for the first time, you could easily see how invested he was in this program and really, all of Stanford athletics.”

—Joseph Beyda

Check back Thursday, as The Daily takes a look through its archives to relive Sauer’s career.

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to dpark027 'at' stanford.edu to reach Do-Hyoung Park, keeper of the souls of those sportswriters.