79-77 is your final from Provo after a furious comeback falls barely short at the end. Card get No. 9 Texas in Austin next. Tough draw.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card looked sloppy and lost at times, but this team's resiliency is really something else. Just won't go away easily.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford and Randle got the looks that they wanted at the end, and the shots just didn't fall. That happens, not much you can do about that.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card get the ball back down 79-77 with 4.8 to go, and Randle misses the buzzer-beater. BYU wins by that final score.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Randle misses the long 3 on a clean look. Stanford will get the ball back with a chance.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Travel. Stanford down 2, gets the ball back and can kill the clock.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Randle with the clutch 3! We have a two-point game, 79-77 with just under a minute to go. ESPNU. Don't miss this ending.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Two forced turnovers later, it's back to a 77-72 game. Stanford doing whatever it can to stick around.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford playing sloppy ball, BYU playing clean, foul-free ball on the other end. It's 72-59 Cougars, who have opened it up with 5 to play.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

M. Basketball: Peter Sauer, former Cardinal forward, dies at 35

Former Stanford forward Peter Sauer died Sunday night after a recreational basketball game in White Plains, N.Y., when the 35-year-old collapsed suddenly on a concrete court.

In a statement, former Cardinal basketball coach Mike Montgomery called Sauer “one of the most popular players [he had] ever coached.”

Sauer graduated from Stanford in 1999 as a four-year player for a team that made straight NCAA tournament appearances, helping pave the way for a Pac-10 championship his senior year and a memorable Final Four run in 1998. He had 10 points and seven rebounds in the Cardinal’s semifinal loss to Kentucky that year, an 86-85 heartbreaker, and averaged 7.9 points per game over his career.

As a sophomore, he made one of the most memorable shots in recent memory for Stanford, sinking a three-pointer with six seconds left in an 81-80 victory over No.12 Arizona.

Sauer worked in finance after leaving the Farm, and had three daughters and a wife, Amanda.

He recently visited with last year’s Stanford basketball team, speaking to the Cardinal during its NIT championship run in the winter.

“Peter truly embodied what it meant to be a Stanford student-athlete,” said current head coach Johnny Dawkins in a statement. “Meeting him for the first time, you could easily see how invested he was in this program and really, all of Stanford athletics.”

—Joseph Beyda

Check back Thursday, as The Daily takes a look through its archives to relive Sauer’s career.

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to awesthem 'at' stanford.edu to reach Ashley Westhem, keeper of the souls of those sportswriters.