Breaking News

Johnny Dawkins says post-game that Reid Travis has progressed, may travel and play on @stanfordbball's trip to Washington this weekend.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @stanfordbball: Stanford cruises over ASU, 89-70. Matches the most points scored this season. Randle, @TwoShotOne, & Nastic all with 20+…: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @stanfordbball: Stanford's 70.4% shooting in first half its best mark since torching Harvard for 73.1% shooting (19-26) in the second ha…: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

M. Basketball: Peter Sauer, former Cardinal forward, dies at 35

Former Stanford forward Peter Sauer died Sunday night after a recreational basketball game in White Plains, N.Y., when the 35-year-old collapsed suddenly on a concrete court.

In a statement, former Cardinal basketball coach Mike Montgomery called Sauer “one of the most popular players [he had] ever coached.”

Sauer graduated from Stanford in 1999 as a four-year player for a team that made straight NCAA tournament appearances, helping pave the way for a Pac-10 championship his senior year and a memorable Final Four run in 1998. He had 10 points and seven rebounds in the Cardinal’s semifinal loss to Kentucky that year, an 86-85 heartbreaker, and averaged 7.9 points per game over his career.

As a sophomore, he made one of the most memorable shots in recent memory for Stanford, sinking a three-pointer with six seconds left in an 81-80 victory over No.12 Arizona.

Sauer worked in finance after leaving the Farm, and had three daughters and a wife, Amanda.

He recently visited with last year’s Stanford basketball team, speaking to the Cardinal during its NIT championship run in the winter.

“Peter truly embodied what it meant to be a Stanford student-athlete,” said current head coach Johnny Dawkins in a statement. “Meeting him for the first time, you could easily see how invested he was in this program and really, all of Stanford athletics.”

—Joseph Beyda

Check back Thursday, as The Daily takes a look through its archives to relive Sauer’s career.

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to awesthem 'at' stanford.edu to reach Ashley Westhem, keeper of the souls of those sportswriters.