W. Golf: Cardinal finishes 24th at NCAA Championships

The Stanford women’s golf team wrapped up its 2012 season on May 25, finishing in 24th place at the NCAA Championships at the Vanderbilt Legends Club in Franklin, Tenn. The Card shot 1216 (+64) as a team in the 72-hole event.

The Cardinal struggled on the first day, shooting a 309 (+21) to put it 23 strokes behind Alabama, the eventual title winner. Despite showing marginal improvement over the next two days, posting scores of 304 and 307 before shooting 296 on Friday, Stanford was unable to recover any ground, finishing two strokes behind Arkansas and five strokes behind Ohio State.

Freshman Mariko Tumangan recorded the best individual performance for the team, shooting rounds of 71-75-79-72 to finish with a final score of 297 (+9) and earn a tie for 38th. Junior Sally Watson shot a 301 (+13) to tie for 63rd, and senior Sydney Burlison and sophomore Marissa Mar tied for 106th place at 310 (+22).

Alabama won the team championship with a score of 1171 (+19), narrowly edging out USC (1172) and Louisiana State University (1173). Oklahoma sophomore Chirapat Jao-Javanil took home the individual title with a final score of 282 (-6).

–Caroline Caselli

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to the managing editor(s) of the sports staff (sports 'at' stanforddaily.com), keepers of the souls of those sportswriters.