Dwight Powell on SportsCenter now as the "other piece" of the Rondo trade: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
ICYMI, Dwight Powell was traded from the Celtics to the Mavs as part of the Rajon Rondo deal yesterday.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWVB: Final: @PennStateVBALL 3, @StanfordWVB 1 Cardinal ends the season 33-2, tying for the most wins in program history. #gosta: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal within one after block from Bugg and Ajanaku. A hush over the crowd in OKC as it's 20-19 PSU in the fourth, up two sets to one.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
It's getting late quickly for the Card. PSU up 18-15 in the fourth set. Another Dunning timeout, this one the most important of the year.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
PSU with three straight points to even the fourth set at 13. Timeout Stanford.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal up 10-7 in the fourth set. Down two sets to one.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford has been down 2-1 three times this season, and it has a 2-1 record in those matches. (W @ Illinois, W @ Colorado, L @ Washington): 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card closed to within one point on three occasions towards the end of the 3rd, but couldn't pull it out. PSU wins it 25-22, takes 2-1 lead.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @jwallach12: Neither team has been able to get in a rhythm since the beginning of the first set. It's a dogfight out there. Exactly what…: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

M. Volleyball: No. 3 Cardinal defeats BYU, ready for MPSF tourney final against UC Irvine

Nearly three months ago, the Stanford men’s volleyball team knocked off then-No. 1 BYU twice in back-to-back matches. The Cardinal used the pivotal sweep as a launching point for its eight-match winning streak during the midseason stretch, creating momentum that the team has carried into the postseason.

Sophomore outside hitter Brian Cook (above) and the No. 3 Stanford men’s volleyball crew defeated No. 4 BYU 3-1 in the semifinal round of the MPSF Conference Tournament on Thursday night at USC’s Galen Center. The Cardinal will try to win the tourney when it faces No. 2 UC Irvine in the finals on Saturday night. (ROGER CHEN/The Stanford Daily)

Even with the stakes raised in the semifinal round of the MPSF Tournament, last night proved to be no different for the No. 3 Cardinal (22-6, 18-5 MPSF) as it once again defeated No. 4 BYU (24-7, 17-6 MPSF) by the score of 3-1, including a 35-33 marathon fourth set to close out the victory.

Stanford has lived up to its status as the tournament’s second seed, blowing past two top-10 teams in one week to earn a spot in the finals against No. 2 UC-Irvine, the fourth seed in the tournament. The team’s latest dominant performance against a tough Cougars team suggests that the Cardinal is playing its best volleyball at the right time.

Playing in front of a crowd of 1,000 people at USC’s Galen Center, senior outside hitter Brad Lawson was outstanding as usual, finishing with 17 kills and five assists. Sophomores Brian Cook and Steve Irvin joined Lawson in double-digit kills, notching 16 and 12 kills, respectively.

“I think the biggest factor in our win was how we handled each point tonight,” said Lawson. “We were in the moment and were able to move on after bad plays, close calls and big points from BYU.”

The Cardinal edged out the Cougars 25-21 in the first set, amassing an exceptional 0.400 hitting percentage and 18 kills as a team. After BYU answered with a victory in the second set, Stanford regained the upper hand with a 25-18 win in the third set.

But it was the fourth and final set that proved to be the most exciting, with the Cardinal trying to clinch the match and the Cougars hoping to stay alive. In the set alone, there were 28 tie scores and 16 lead changes. BYU was on the brink of extending the match to a fifth set, but the resilient Stanford players foiled the Cougars’ four set points.  Following a critical point coming from Irvin’s block, sophomore middle blocker Mochalski ended the marathon set and the match with an ace to secure the 35-33 win.

“That was such a fun match to be part of, and I am tremendously proud of our team. It wasn’t a clutch performance by any one person,” Mochalski said. “As a team, we fought off game point after game point and stuck together until that last serve. Everyone on our team made a clutch contribution at some point. We were confident in each other the entire time down the stretch and knew we could pull it out.”

The Cougars certainly put up a fight. BYU sophomore outside hitter Taylor Sander led the Cougars with 27 kills while senior setter Joe Kauliakamoa dished out an impressive 56 assists. But it wasn’t nearly enough to throw the Cardinal players off sync or intimidate them down the stretch.

“I’m so proud of how we grinded out each point, especially late in the fourth set,” Lawson said about the team’s clutch performance late in the game. “We relied on each other and just trusted that we’d be there for each other at crucial moments. I have to give a lot of credit to our defense and middle blockers as well. They put up great numbers and Mochalski’s serve to close out the match was huge.”

The fluid, solid play that has characterized the team’s recent matches should certainly give the Cardinal confidence as it prepares to face UC-Irvine for the MPSF Tournament title on Saturday. But beating the Anteaters will be no easy task. Shortly after Stanford defeated BYU last night, UC-Irvine followed suit by defeating No. 1 USC in five sets. The fact that the Anteaters were down two sets before storming back to win the last three makes their win all the more impressive.

Stanford will square off against UC-Irvine for the MPSF Tournament title at 7 p.m. on Saturday at USC’s Galen Center.

About George Chen

George Chen is a senior staff writer at The Stanford Daily who writes football, football and more football. Previously he worked at The Daily as the President and Editor in Chief, Executive Editor, Managing Editor of Sports, the football beat reporter and a sports desk editor. George also co-authored The Daily's recent book documenting the rise of Stanford football, "Rags to Roses." He is a senior from Painted Post, NY majoring in Biology. To contact him, please email at gchen15@stanford.edu.