Baseball: Blandino earns national, conference honors

Freshman Alex Blandino, who burst onto the scene for the Stanford baseball starting lineup this week, received multiple accolades for the four home runs, 11 RBI and .563 batting average that he delivered last week, including national and conference player of the week awards.

On Monday, Blandino was named the national player of the week by Collegiate Baseball as well as the Pac-12 Conference’s Player of the Week. One day later, he was named the National Collegiate Baseball Writer’s Player of the Week and the primetime performer of the week by Collegebaseball360.com.

He kicked off his week with a two-run home run in last Tuesday’s loss to San Jose State, followed by two more home runs and four RBI against Arizona State on Friday. On Sunday, he doubled, had an RBI single, stole a base and scored his eighth run of the week in another victory over the Sun Devils.

The freshman has played in 20 games this season, primarily as designated hitter, although he started all four games last week at third base. In 64 at-bats, he has accumulated 23 RBI, six home runs and a .328 batting average.

–Caroline Caselli

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to the managing editor(s) of the sports staff (sports 'at' stanforddaily.com), keepers of the souls of those sportswriters.