@treeSIDjorge Yet the Cardinal has won the conference five times over that stretch...: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @treeSIDjorge: Two-time defending champion Stanford second in Pac-12 preseason media poll ... poll began in 1961, Cardinal not once pick…: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @CWCameronWalker: By far the hardest decision of my life, but I will spend the next chapter of my life at Stanford University under Coac…: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordRivals: Four-star forward Cameron Walker, the nation's No. 61 player, just tweeted that he has committed to #Stanford. Huge get…: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Track & Field: Cardinal athletes put up strong showing at Stanford invitational

Stanford track and field put together an impressive performance at this weekend’s Stanford Invitational, which brought thousands of top high school, college and pro athletes to the Farm.

Sophomore Kori Carter, center, had a great Sunday at the Stanford Invitational, winning the 100-meter hurdles with a time of 13.19 and also helping the Cardinal contingent win the 4x100-meter relay. (MADELINE SIDES/The Stanford Daily)

Senior Chris Derrick won his heat in the 1,500 meters, setting a personal best of 3:41:17 and defeating rival Lawi Lelang, an Arizona runner that has edged Derrick three times this season at NCAA events. Also winning heats on Saturday were sophomore Kori Carter, who earned the top seed in the Sunday final with a 13.19 in the 100-meter hurdles, and redshirt senior Shataya Hendricks, who ran an 11.58 in the 100-meter dash.

Carter and Hendricks went on to win the 4×100-meter relay on Sunday with Cardinal teammates sophomore Katie Nelms and junior Carissa Levingston. Their 44.56 time was the seventh-best in Stanford history. Later, Levingston and Hendricks finished second and third, respectively, in the open 200 meters. The women’s 4×400 relay team, meanwhile, finished second to Arizona in its best race of the season.

The Stanford men’s 4×100 team of junior Spencer Chase, freshman Darian Brooks, sophomore Colin Hepburn and senior Amaechi Morton also won its Sunday race, beating American River in a photo finish with a time of 40.75. Morton placed third in the 110-meter hurdles with a 14.33 mark.

Cardinal pole vaulters finished in the top 10 as well, with senior Katerina Stefanidi placing second on the women’s side with a mark of 13-7.25 and redshirt senior Corey Dysick placing ninth for the men with his 16-2.75 jump.

—Joseph Beyda

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to dpark027 'at' stanford.edu to reach Do-Hyoung Park, keeper of the souls of those sportswriters.